I have to be honest, 99% of weeknight dinners in our house are salad. How boring is that? Every evening after work I ask my dear health conscious boyfriend what he wants for dinner and the answer is guaranteed to be “Chicken Salad”, to be honest I don’t know why I even bother asking anymore. Anyways since being on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet I have found that I need to up the ante at dinner as I snack a lot less during the day. This is such a great week night dinner, hearty, full of flavours and ready in less then 25 minutes, with minimal prep, it doesn’t get much better then that! If you aren’t a fan of olives then they can easily be subbed for mushrooms.
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp dried basil or other herbs
1 tsp olive oil
1 onion diced
2 cloves garlic
1/3 cup green and black olives, pitted and cut into quarters
2 cups cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper to taste
- Place a medium sized pan on the stove over medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
- Coat both sides of the chicken breast with the garlic powder and the dried herbs and place in the pan. It should take about 3-4 minutes per side for the chicken to develop a nice golden brown colour.
- Once both sides are done, remove the chicken from the pan, place on a plate and set aside
- Lower the heat to medium-low and add two crushed cloves of garlic, let cook for a minute and then add the diced onion, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and place a lid on the pan
- After 2 minutes add the two cups of cherry tomatoes and chopped olives, place lid back on and let cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally (if it looks to be burning, lower the heat)
- Add the chicken breasts back to the pan with the sauce and let cook for another few minutes with the lid off so the sauce can reduce
- Sprinkle with chopped basil and serve