I have to be honest, breakfast really isn’t my thing and eggs really really aren’t my thing (something about the texture that freaks me out). So you will know I mean business when I say these baked eggs are absolutely delicious and I could happily enjoy them for breakfast every day of the week.
Peppers, onions, tomatoes, spinach and spicy chorizo are sauteed and then added to a thick tomato sauce. Small pockets are created in the sauce and an egg is cracked into each. The entire pan is then baked in the oven until the egg whites are firm and the yolks are still runny. Although traditionally served for breakfast, this is also a great dish to serve for brunch, lunch or even dinner along with bread to sop up all of the sauce. This is a great make ahead meal as the sauce and veggies can be prepared up to 2 days in advance and simply warmed in the pan before topping with eggs and baking.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- ½ yellow pepper, thinly cut into strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 can chopped tomatoes* (400g)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste*
- ½ tbsp honey
- 2 cups spinach
- ½ cup dry cured chorizo
- 1 pinch smoked paprika
- 3-4 eggs (depending on pan size)
- Set oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- In an oven proof pan on medium heat sauté the diced onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes and yellow pepper in 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt. Cook for 8-10 minutes until the peppers soften and the onions become translucent
- Add in the can of chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, ½ tbsp of honey. spinach and chorizo. Cook for another 4-5 minutes **
- Make 3-4 wells in the sauce depending on the size of the pan and crack an egg into each.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook for 8-10 minutes depending on how runny you prefer your eggs.
- Remove from the oven and serve with bread on the side. Enjoy!
** You can make the recipe up to this point a few hours or even the night before. Simply store the mixture in a container in the fridge until needed and then heat up in a pan before moving on to the next step