It’s just been one of those weeks. Its cold, its wet and there is a tube strike in London which makes each journey to and from work make you feel like a contestant in the Amazing Race. After another horrendous commute home in which I arrived dripping and soaked to the core, the discovery of this left over soup in the back of my fridge brought me back to my happy place.
This roasted cauliflower and leek soup is a winner on so many levels. To begin with, its so incredibly easy to make. The actual prep time is less then 10 minutes, and you need just over 20 minutes to cook the vegetable in the oven. What else? Well it tastes so creamy and smooth, you would swear it had cups and cups of cream in it, but in fact, it is a very healthy soup that is completely dairy free. Although it may seem like 6 cloves of garlic is too much, when roasted in the oven, they take on a rich caramelized flavour which add great depth to the dish. After pureeing the vegetables in the blender the soup is very thick, I have listed in the ingredients 5 cups of stock but you may require more to really thin the soup out. I usually top the soup with a sprinkling of pancetta for texture, and on days like today I drizzle a bit of truffle oil on top too, because, well, why not?
- 3 leeks
- 2 medium cauliflower (or 1½ large)
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- pepper to taste
- ¼ cup diced pancetta or pumpkin seeds for vegetarians/vegans
- truffle oil (optional)
- Set the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Cut the cauliflower into medium sized pieces and cut the leeks in 2 inch slices. Place the leeks and cauliflower on a baking sheet along with the peeled garlic cloves. Season with salt and drizzle the olive oil over top.
- Place in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes until the cauliflower is tender and has begun to brown. Half way through cooking remove the pan from the oven and flip the vegetables to ensure they don't get too dark on one side.
- Once cooked remove from the oven and put the cauliflower, leeks and garlic in a blender. Add in the lemon juice, smoked paprika and 2 cups of the chicken/vegetable stock and blend.
- After blending the soup, pour into a pot on the stove on medium-low heat and add the remainder of the stock slowly until the soup reaches your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- While the soup keeps warm, quickly fry diced pancetta on medium high heat.
- To serve ladle the soup into a bowl and top with a sprinkling of pancetta/pumpkin seeds. If you want to be fancy, you can drizzle truffle oil over top before serving. Enjoy!