Cauliflower breadsticks and pizza crusts have been showing up on health food blogs for the past year or so, pushing kale chips and spinach smoothies to the side. I am a massive fan of cauliflower pizza and make it for dinner about once a month, but I find the process of grating the cauliflower and microwaving it in batches to be quite time consuming. As previously mentioned I was on a ‘cooking with cauliflower’ spree last weekend and after making couscous salad, I had leftover cauliflower rice that was calling to me. My hope was to add the raw cauliflower rice to the bread dough to create a cornbread like consistency. It turns out that the cauliflower rice completely cooked in the dough which resulted in a light and moist bread that you would never guess contained cauliflower.
I am absolutely loving this bread, it is delicious and incredibly easy to make. One bowl, no kneading, no resting time, you just throw all of the ingredients together, mix, place on a baking sheet in the oven, and 20 minutes later you have a delicious loaf of bread. Don’t worry, even those who dislike cauliflower will love this bread as the cauliflower is undetectable. This is a great way to sneak an extra serving of vegetables into even the pickiest of eaters diet. The cauliflower replaces half of the almond flour which means you’re cutting down on a large amount of calories and carbs while increasing the nutrients in each slice. Cauliflower has an endless list of health benefits and is high in potassium, vitamin K, fibre, magnesium and vitamin C so there is no need to feel guilty when you reach for a second slice. For this loaf I used what I had leftover in the fridge; jalapenos, cheddar and bacon but you can use any combination of flavours including sundried tomatoes, thyme, basil, caramelized onions or feta. This bread is delicious topped with butter, it toasts really well and is the perfect thickness to cut in half and use as sandwich bread. Give this bread a try and let me know if you become a cauliflower convert.
- ¾ cup almond flour + 1 tbsp
- 1 cup cauliflower rice (1/2 small cauliflower) (125 grams)
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil or butter
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp jalapeño (optional)*
- 1 tbsp pancetta (optional)*
- 2 tbsp cheddar cheese (optional)*
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Cut ½ a head of cauliflower into small chunks and place in a food processor, pulse until the cauliflower becomes uniform in size and resembles small grains
- In a bowl combine the almond flour, cauliflower rice, egg, baking soda, lemon juice, salt, pepper and coconut oil. Mix until well combined. Add in your flavourings of choice and form the dough into a ball
- Place the dough on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, flatten slightly so the bread is approximately 1½ inches thick and place in the oven
- Allow the bread to bake for 20-25 minutes until it is golden in colour and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Watch the bread to make sure it doesn't burn.