As much as I enjoy a typical lettuce salad with lots of toppings, I also love experimenting with different bases like beets or cauliflower couscous. It’s often hard to come up with filling salad bases that aren’t made up of grain, potatoes or beans but I think cabbage makes for a great option as its low in calories and high in fiber which keeps you full for longer. When it comes to cabbage, the white and purple varieties are more common, but in this recipe I used Savoy which is more tender in texture and has a sweeter flavour.
So what’s in this salad? Crunchy shredded savoy cabbage, sliced radishes which add a delicious spiced flavour, celery and sorrel for a slight tang. Sorrel is a leafy green that has a tart acidic flavour and can be used in place of lemon. It can be either used as a herb to season sauces, soups and dressings, or like lettuce and mixed into a salad. This salad is raw, healthy, packs a serious crunch and is covered in a delicious creamy poppy seed dressing that will have you licking every last drop from the salad bowl.
- 4 cups shredded savoy cabbage
- 1 cup radishes
- 3 stalks celery
- ⅓ cup sorrel
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1-2 tsp honey (depending on desired sweetness)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp grated white onion
- 1 egg yolk
- pinch of salt & pepper
- Using a knife cut the savoy cabbage into thin shreds. Wash and dry the celery and radishes and cut them into thin slices.
- In a blender combine the ingredients for the dressing and blend until well mixed.
- In a bowl combine the cabbage, celery, radishes and sorrel and toss with the dressing before serving. Enjoy!