You’ve heard it a million times before: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, which provides you with nutrients to give you energy for the day ahead. It’s a statement that we all try to live by, but unfortunately its easier said then done. In the busy morning rush of getting ready for the day ahead finding time to prepare breakfast can quickly fall down your list of priorities.
Cereal is often an easy solution to this problem as it can be prepared in under a minute, but so many of the cereals sold in stores are packed with sugar, artificial flavoring and grain, not ideal for anyone trying to follow a healthy diet.
I have been experimenting with granola recipes for awhile now, but found that most either lacked flavour, or more closely resembled trail mix then proper granola. When I finally came up with the recipe for this Apple Cinnamon Granola I was jumping around the kitchen with excitement, IT’S SO GOOD! Dried apples add a sweetness to the granola, and when baked in the oven they become slightly crunchy. Brazil nuts, pecans and walnuts are quickly pulsed in the food processor until they are broke down into a variety of sizes, I find the Brazil nuts generally stay the largest in size while the walnuts turn into a finer powder. The nuts are then mixed with shredded unsweetened coconut, coconut flakes, sesame seeds and flaked almonds giving the granola a variety of shapes and textures, no sign of trail mix here! The nut mixture is then coated in honey, vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg baked in the oven until it has turned golden in color.
I love having a few scoops of this granola every morning with almond milk and fresh berries. It’s very hearty and will keep you feeling full through the morning and right up until lunch. A bowl of granola is a great source of fibre, protein and iron and will help you get through the mid morning energy slump.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite1) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
- 1 cup dried apples rings (unsweetened)
- ½ cup Brazil nuts
- 1 cup pecans
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ tbsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp all spice
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius (300 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Place the apple rings and Brazil nuts in a food processor and pulse for a few seconds until they break down into small pieces
- Add in the pecans and walnuts and pulse once or twice
- Place the mixture in a large bowl and stir in the shredded coconut, coconut flakes and sesame seeds.
- In a small bowl whisk together the coconut oil, honey or maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon and all spice.
- Pour the liquid over the granola and stir until everything is well coated. Pour everything onto a baking sheet and place in the oven
- Bake the granola in the oven for 30-35 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes when it starts to brown. Make sure you watch it closely to ensure nothing burns. Once everything is golden in colour, remove from the oven and allow to cool before storing in a zip-loc bag or sealed container.