Dips have always been my favourite snack, a delicious way to spice up sticks of celery or cucumber. I absolutely love this tahini and caramelised onion dip because it’s so good warm, perfect for this time of year when the temperatures outside are chilly.
The base of caramelised onions gives this dip a slightly sweet flavour, which is perfectly balanced with hints of lemon. I love the nutty and deliciously rich flavour that tahini adds to dishes (like energy balls or roasted veggies!) and this dip is no exception. I used to be a big fan of caramelised onion hummus and this dip has a very similar flavour while being completely chickpea and bean free (SCD/Paleo approved!).
I have been eating this dip warm or cold with veggies as a snack, but it’s also a fantastic accompaniment to chicken, lamb or grilled veggies. Truthfully this stuff goes with just about anything!
- 3 large onions
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt
- ⅔ cup tahini
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- 1¾ cup water
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- fresh chopped parsley to serve
- Peel and thinly slice the onions.
- Coat the bottom of a large frying pan on medium heat with the olive oil. Once hot add the onions and season with salt. Let the onions cook for approximately 30 to 45 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so to ensure they don't burn.
- In a bowl, mix the tahini, lemon juice,garlic and water together until it becomes smooth and creamy
- Pour the liquid into the pan with the onions and stir until well combined. Stir in the chill powder. Cook on medium heat for approximately 5 minutes until it begins to bubble.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley