When it comes to creating dishes, I have often had a more is more mentality. The more ingredients included, the more flavour I thought there would be in the dish and therefore the better it would taste. This would often result in a 20 item list of ingredients for a “simple” salad that would take 40 minutes to prepare.
This salad is a great example of when less is more. I wanted to add nuts, other veggies or a protein to the recipe, but after tasting this 3 ingredient salad, I knew it was perfect, just the way it was. The simple flavours of beets, carrots and orange vinaigrette create a deliciously fresh salad that’s as appealing to the eyes as it is to the taste buds. If you don’t have a spiralizer you can use a julienne or alternatively grate the beets and carrots, they won’t be as fun to eat as the spiralized veggies, but all of the flavour will still be there.
I love the sweet crunch of raw beets, a vegetable which I used to only eat roasted or pickled. In this salad I used golden beets which have a milder flavour to the traditional darker varities and candy cane beets, the sweetest variety of beet which look like regular beets on the outside but have a gorgoue red and white striped center. For this salad feel free to use whichever variety of beet you can find, but try to be adventurous, it will result in a vibrant and beautiful salad.
- 2 carrots
- 2 large beets (golden, candy cane or red)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- The zest and juice of 1 orange
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Wash and peel the beets and carrots. Using a spiralizer or julienne, cut the beets and carrots into thin strips.
- In a bowl combine the sprialized veggies with the chopped parsley. Grate the zest of one orange and add it to the salad.
- In a bowl whisk together the juice from the orange, olive oil and vinegar.
- Toss the salad with the dressing and season with salt and pepper. This salad can last for 2-3 days in the fridge.