By the end of January, a lot of people’s dedication to eating healthy begins to waver after a month of the same healthy salads over and over. Well fear not, I have a new delicious salad to add to your healthy eating roster that’s not only packed full of flavour but also incredibly simple to make.
So what’s in my healthy version of a Chinese Chicken Salad? Juicy chunks of mandarin oranges, crisp slices of snow peas, crunchy flaked almonds, spicy spring onions, thin slices of red onion, matchstick sized pieces of carrots and lots of shredded chicken, all tossed in a bed napa cabbage and served with a slightly sweet orange and ginger dressing. This is one very delicious salad that will have your taste buds dancing with joy.
To keep things as simple as possible I recommend using a precooked chicken. I had a leftover cooked chicken breast from the night before that I shredded, but you can also use a store bought rotisserie chicken (no one will judge you for cutting a few corners I promise!).
I am a big fan of nappa cabbage (often also refered to as chinese cabbage). Its a cross between lettuce and green cabbage with more substance then romaine, but less dense and crunchy then green cabbage.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite1) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
- 1 chicken breast, shredded
- 3 cups shredded napa cabbage
- ½ red onion, cut into thin slices
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- ½ cup snow peas
- ⅓ spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 mandarin orange
- ¼ cup chopped coriander (cilantro)
- 1½ tbsp white sesame seeds
- ⅓ cup flaked almonds, toasted
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- ½ tbsp coconut aminos or tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
- 1 tsp honey*
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- In a bowl whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing, set aside.
- Wash the snow peas and cut them diagonally into thin slices. Peel the mandarin orange, remove as much of the white pith as possible and cut each segment into thirds.
- In a large salad bowl combine the napa cabbage, shredded chicken, red onion, sliced carrots, snow peas, spring onions, chopped coriander and sesame seeds. Toss with the salad dressing and sprinkle with the flaked almonds before serving.