With just 7 ingredients, this cake is incredibly simple but packed with delicious citrus and nut flavour. So what’s the secret? Simmering the oranges in a pot of water before pureeing and adding to the batter results in a super moist cake with a deep citrus flavour in every bite.
When pureeing the orange, you can put the entire orange into the blender which will give the cake a slight bitter taste (which I love) or alternatively using a sharp knife you can remove the peel from one or both of the oranges before blending which will result in a sweeter cake.
To really maximise the orange flavour I topped the cake with slices of dried orange which are super simple to make in the oven. I also brush the top before serving with a sweet orange and honey glaze, which gives the cake a nice glistening sheen. You can easily skip one or both of these components and you will still have a delicious cake.
This is great served with afternoon tea, or as a simple dessert topped with a scoop of ice cream.
- 2 oranges
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup honey
- 1 cup ground pistachios
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 orange*
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- Rinse the oranges and place them in a pot. Cover with water and simmer on low heat for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour drain the pot and place the oranges in a blender. Blend for approximately 1 minutes until the oranges have formed a puree
- To make the ground pistachios place them in a coffee grinder or food processor and grind until there are now chunky pieces and everything has ground down to a find powder.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees celsius. Grease a loose bottom cake pan
- In a bowl combine the orange puree, eggs, honey, ground pistachios, almond flour, vanilla extract and baking soda. Pour into the greased cake pan
- Bake for 1 hour. If the top begins to brown too quickly, cover with tinfoil. The cake will be done once a cake inserted into the top comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, in a small pot combine ½ cup orange juice with 2 tbsp honey and allow to reach boiling point before reducing the heat to simmer. Allow to simmer until the amount of liquid has reduced by approximately half. Remove from the heat and set aside until the cake has come out of the oven.
- Once the cake is out of the oven, brush the orange and honey mixture over the entire surface. Top with the slices of dried orange. Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen before unclasping the outer ring.