I am so excited to share this recipe. I am a massive fan of banana bread and don’t want to brag, but think I have mastered the art of making the perfect loaf. In my opinion the key is not overcooking the bread so that is remains super moist, and adding lots of banana so that it’s bursting with flavour.
While I try to always have a loaf of my banana bread in the freezer for a quick breakfast or snack, sometimes I’m just not that organized. So here is my solution, a super fast single serving banana bread recipe that requires just a mug and a microwave, it’s so easy.
One of the keys to making this bread really delicious is using a very ripe banana, the more black spots the more flavour the bread will have. Ripe bananas are much easier to digest then firmer green or yellow ones and also increase in antioxidant levels as they ripen. Depending on how sweet the banana you are using is, you can skip the honey in this recipe to cut down on the total amount of sugar.
I think this recipe would be a big hit with kids as its exciting to watch the bread rise and cook so quickly in the microwave in just a few short minutes. I added walnuts to the bread for a bit of crunch, but you could substitute them for chocolate chips or raisins for added texture.
- 1½ tbsp coconut oil
- 1 very ripe banana
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 drops apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp honey (or other sweetener)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts (or chocolate chips)
- Put the coconut oil in the mug and microwave for 15-20 seconds until melted.
- Cut the peeled banana into chunks and place in the mug. Using a fork, mash it against the side of the mug until its blended into a puree.
- Add to the mug the coconut flour, almond flour and baking soda. When adding the apple cider vinegar try to ensure that it makes contact with the baking soda (the baking soda will fizz when it touches the apple cider)
- Add in the vanilla extract and egg and walnuts. Stir until well combined.
- Microwave the mug for 2½ to 3 minutes or until the banana bread has risen and the top is fully cooked and no longer wet to the touch. Serve topped with chopped walnuts or banana chips.