There are so many reasons to get excited about this fudge. It contains just 5 ingredients, takes less then 10 minutes of preparation (+ freezer time) and tastes sooo good.
I have never been a big fan of fudge as I find it contains so much sugar that my teeth hurt from the excessive sweetness. Fudge is traditionally not the healthiest of desserts with a lot of recipes containing ingredients such as sugar, condensed milk, butter and cream, all things foods should be avoided if you are on a restrictive diet or trying to eat healthy. This Hazelnut Fudge recipe is completely free from dairy and refined sugar, and contains just coconut oil, honey (or maple syrup), hazelnuts and vanilla extract. It doesn’t get much simpler then that.
To keep costs down I used whole hazelnuts which I toasted in the oven and then rubbed to remove the skins, but you could use hazelnut butter instead. I am absolutely obsessed with Meridian Hazelnut Butter and eat it by the spoonful for dessert every night. If you have hazelnut butter to use, 2/3 cup should be equivalent to one cup of whole nuts. If you don’t have hazelnuts then I think this recipe would also work well with almonds, pistachios or even sunflower seeds for those with a nut allergy.
I like eating the fudge straight from the freezer, but you can let it sit at room temperature to slightly soften, just be sure to return it the freezer within 15 minutes as it quickly liquefies and becomes hard to handle.
This fudge should last a couple of months in the freezer and is a great dessert to have on hand when a sweet tooth hits. You can sprinkle the top with chopped hazelnuts like I have, or alternatively unsweetened shredded coconut or chocolate would also be delicious.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite1) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
- 1 cups toasted hazelnuts + ¼ cup coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 3 tbsp coconut cream
- 2 tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt + a pinch
- In a food processor blend 1 cup hazelnuts with the coconut oil for approximately 3 to 4 minutes until it has turned into a nut butter consistency
- Add in the coconut cream, honey, vanilla extract and salt and continue to blend until completely smooth
- Pour the mixture evenly into a 9 inch loaf tin lined with cling film. Sprinkle the top with ¼ cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts and sprinkle with salt. Put in the freezer for a minimum of 2 hours until firm.
- Slice into squares and serve