Does 4 shaved brussel sprout recipes in 1 year make me an addict? I am such a massive fan of the texture and flavour that they have when shredded into thin pieces. In the past I have added the shaved sprouts to slaw and Caesar salad, and cooked it in a delicious Asian sauce, but this recipe is the first one I have specifically created for Thanksgiving.
This is such a simple side dish to prepare, but has lots of great flavour and texture. The shaved brussel sprouts are quickly cooked in broth and lemon juice to give them added flavour, and then tossed with crunchy chopped hazelnuts, fresh parsley and crisp bacon.
You can easily make this dish vegetarian or vegan by skipping the bacon and using vegetable stock instead of chicken. The lemon adds a nice kick of flavour to the sprouts, without being strong enough to overpower gravy.
Another great thing about this side dish is that it is prepared on the stove, unlike many roasted brussel sprout recipe which require time in Thanksgivings most in demand kitchen appliance, the oven. To save time, and minimize preparation, you can cook the bacon and shred the brussel sprouts a day ahead, bringing the preparation time of this dish on the day of, to less then 15 minutes!
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite1) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
- 500 grams brussel sprouts
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup vegetable or chicken stock
- zest from 1 lemon
- ⅓ cup roughly chopped hazelnuts
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley
- To shave the brussel sprouts, cut each one in half lengthwise and then lay them face down on a cutting board and slice into very thin shreds. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet on medium heat until crisp, approx 5 minutes. Roughly chop into small pieces and then set aside.
- Add the diced onion and garlic to the skillet with the bacon fat. Cook until the onions soften and then add in the shaved brussel sprouts, lemon juice and stock. Cook the brussel sprouts for approximately 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until they have softened and the water has evaporated.
- Stir in the chopped bacon, hazelnuts, parsley and lemon zest. Serve warm.