There is something about the combination of pumpkin spice and the texture of creamy pumpkin puree that makes me soooo happy. I wish that I could make pumpkin spice recipes all year round, but whipping up a pumpkin pie in April doesn’t seem right.
I think I have found the perfect recipe to help you satisfy pumpkin cravings throughout the year. These energy balls are packed with creamy pumpkin puree and a spicy combination of nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and cloves (the pumpkin spice dream team).
I like to store my energy balls in the freezer as I prefer their firmer texture when frozen and I think the flavours become much more prominent. I have batches of energy balls that have been hiding in the back of my freezer for over 6 months and they still taste great. If you prefer to keep them in the fridge, they will last up to 2 weeks.
I roasted a whole pumpkin and then pureed it for this recipe, but using canned pumpkin will work just as well. If you have a nut allergy, pumpkin seeds would be a great substitute for walnuts in this recipe without dramatically changing the flavour or texture of the balls.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite1) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
- 1 cup dates, if hard soak them in hot water for 5 minutes to soften
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup walnuts
- Place the dates in a food processor and blend until broken into small bits
- Add in the pumpkin puree, salt, vanilla, and spices and blend until well combined. Finally add in the shredded coconut and walnuts and pulse until the walnuts are broken into small pieces but not completely smooth.
- Roll the mixture into 20-25 small bite sized balls.
- Store the balls in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for 6 months.