I have always been weary of casseroles which have a reputation for being full of cream, cheese and lots of carbs, not exactly a healthy meal choice. But damn do they taste good.
I wanted to try creating a healthy spin on my all time favourite casserole, Cheddar, Broccoli and Chicken.
In this version I swapped rice for celeriac rice and cheddar and the cream based sauce for a delicious coconut cream, chicken stock and egg mixture.
I used celeriac (aka celery root) because I like how well it keeps its rice like shape when cooked. If you are unable to find celeriac then cauliflower would also work, just be sure to not make the cauliflower rice too fine to prevent it turning into mush once baked in the casserole.
Don’t get me wrong, you will struggle to convince anyone that this is a classic Cheddar, Broccoli and Chicken Casserole, instead it tastes like a healthy version of one. That being said, this recipe has a lot of the same delicious attributes, creamy rice, tender pieces of broccoli, shredded chicken and those wonderfully crispy outer edges that are always my favourite part of any casserole.
If you are not following a Paleo or Dairy Free diet then I would suggest sprinkling a bit of cheddar on top of the casserole and letting it bake for a few minutes until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
The leftovers are delicious and will last for up to 4 days in the fridge.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite1) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
- 1 celeriac (3 cups riced)
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 head broccoli, cut into approximately 3 cups florets
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup coconut cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Peel the celeriac and cut it into large chunks. Place the pieces into a food processor and pulse until everything is broken down into even pieces the size of rice. Place the rice in a bowl along with the shredded chicken
- In a skillet on medium heat, cook the onion and garlic in olive oil for 3 to 4 minutes until the onion begins to soften. Add in the broccoli florets and about ¼ cup water just to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover and steam the broccoli until it is just tender but not overcooked (approximately 5 minutes). Add the onions and broccoli into the bowl with the rice and chicken
- Whisk together the egg and coconut cream before adding in the chicken stock and nutritional yeast. Pour the liquid into the bowl with the other ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Transfer everything to a casserole dish and firmly press down to ensure its well packed in. Cover the casserole dish with tin foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes remove the tin foil and bake for another 5 minutes to lightly brown the top. Serve warm