Kale & Pistachio Pesto
Kale takes the award for trendy food of 2013. Its the king of super foods and cooking blogs and food magazines alike were scrambling to find different ways to use it. Here are just a few of the health benefits of eating this leafy green:
- High in Vitamin A (great for vision, skin and preventing lung cancer) and Vitamin C (good for your immune system)
- Its high in Omega-3 Fatty Acids which is an anti-inflammatory
- Eating more kale can lower your cholesterol levels
- High in Iron (per calorie kale has more iron then beef)
- High in Calcium (per calorie is has more calcium then milk)
- Its high in Vitamin K which can help prevent against various cancers
….and I truly could go on and on. Anyways for those who would like to take advantage of the benefits of eating Kale, but aren’t a big fan of the flavour or texture this pesto is for you. Its absolutely delicious and incredibly versatile, spread on crackers, served with fish, shrimp or chicken, eaten as a dip with carrots, as a sauce with pasta, on top of a poached egg for breakfast, the options are endless.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Kale & Pistachio PestoLeave a Review »
- 1/3 cup pistachios
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 1/2 cups kale
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup parmesan
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Set the oven to 200 degrees celsius
- Place the pistachios on a tray in the oven and toast for 10-15 minutes until they begin to darken in colour
- In a food processor combine all of the above ingredients and pulse until smooth with no chunks
- Enjoy! This will last for 5 days in the fridge.