Sheet Pan Chicken Piccata
This Sheet Pan Chicken Piccata is a fuss free spin on the classic dish. The sheet pan is loaded with chicken, asparagus, artichokes and potatoes and covered in a lemon and caper sauce before being baked in the oven. The chicken becomes deliciously crispy and the veggies are tender and smothered in the zesty sauce. This Whole30 Chicken Piccata is also Paleo, Grain Free and Gluten Free.
If you are looking for an easy all in one dish, it’s hard to beat a sheet pan recipe. All it takes is a quick skim through the recipes on this site to know that I am a big fan (in fact the Sheet Pan Greek Chicken is the most popular recipe on the site!). This Sheet Pan Chicken Piccata is such a winner of a dish. It takes all of the delicious flavours of the traditional dish, plus the crispiness of the chicken (thanks to the skin) and combines it into a fuss free meal. If you like chicken piccata I think you will absolutely love this version!
WHY YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE THIS SHEET PAN CHICKEN PICCATA
- The flavours! The sauce is a delicious combination of tangy and salty flavours that really makes this dish.
- It’s an all in one meal, no need to make any other side dishes.
- The crispy skinned chicken! If you are fan of crispy skin like I am then you will love this recipe!
- It’s a fantastic low fuss meal, the hands on prep can be done in under 10 minutes and it’s almost foolproof to make.
- You can prep a lot of this in advance (details below) so all you need to do is put it in the oven before eating. So easy!
WHAT CUT OF CHICKEN TO USE:
I prefer using boneless skin on chicken thighs for this recipe because the meat is flavourful and cooks quickly, and the skin becomes browned and deliciously crispy. If you want to reduce the fat you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs and cook using the same times listed below. For boneless chicken breasts, increase the cook time by 6-8 minutes, or cut them in half if you are short on time. Drumsticks are an affordable cut that you can also use for this recipe, just be sure to cook them for an extra 12-15 minutes and use a meat thermometer to ensure they are cooked through.
WAYS TO MODIFY THIS SHEET PAN CHICKEN PICCATA:
- How to make it Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal: Potatoes are not allowed on SCD so you can leave them out, or substitute them with chunky florets of cauliflower. This is also a great swap to do if you are following the keto diet or looking for a low carb dish.
- Don’t have asparagus? You can swap the asparagus for green beans which also work well in this dish
- Not doing Whole30? You can use white wine in place of white wine vinegar. The liquid quantities can be slightly adjusted, by reducing the chicken stock amount to 3/4 cup and using 3/4 cup of white wine. Don’t stress about opening a bottle of wine just for this dish, the white wine vinegar will make it taste just as good.
- Use a different protein: As noted above you can use any cut of chicken in this recipe or alternatively use pork chops or a white fish such as cod or halibut. If using pork chops simply follow the recipe replacing the chicken with pork. For white fish, only add it to the pan in step 5 with the asparagus.
CAN THIS BE MADE IN ADVANCE?
You can prepare the vegetables, chicken and sauce in advance and assemble it all on the tray. The tray can then be stored in the fridge for up to 6 hours. When it’s time to cook simply pop the tray in the oven and you’re done!
WHAT ABOUT LEFTOVERS?
Leftovers will last for up to 4 days in the fridge and can be reheated in the microwave or in the oven at 350º fahrenheit for 10 minutes until warmed through. I like to cut the chicken into pieces and add it along with any of the leftover vegetables into a salad with a squeeze of lemon juice and olive oil for dressing.
Love easy sheet pan recipes? Here are a few others you might enjoy:
- Sheet Pan Greek Chicken
- Sheet Pan Salmon Nicoise
- Sheet Pan Mexican Chicken & Veggies
- Teriyaki Salmon Traybake
- Sheet Pan Spanish Chicken & Chorizo
- Sheet Pan Moroccan Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken with Balsamic Dijon Sauce
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Sheet Pan Chicken Piccata
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp capers
- 5 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 2 medium finely diced shallots (approx 1/3 cup finely diced)
- 1 can artichoke hearts cut into quarters
- 1/2 lbs baby potatoes (or 2 cups cauliflower florets for SCD)
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- 6 boneless skin on chicken thighs
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 8 spears asparagus cut into 2 inch pieces
- Preheat the oven to 425º Fahrenheit (220º Celsius)
- In a bowl stir together the chicken stock, white wine vinegar, capers, chopped parsley, diced shallots and crushed garlic.
- On a 18x13 inch sheet pan* place the baby potatoes and quartered artichoke hearts and pour the sauce over top and use your hands to toss the veggies so they are well coated. Arrange the lemon slices and chicken thighs around the tray.
- Rub the top of the chicken thighs with olive oil and season each with salt and pepper. Place the tray in the oven to bake for 18 minutes.
- After 18 minutes of cooking remove the tray from the oven and arrange the pieces of asparagus around the tray. Spoon any sauce from the tray overtop of the chicken and veggies and return to the oven to cook for a further 7 minutes until the potatoes and asparagus are tender and the chicken is cooked through. Garnish with a sprinkle of parsley before serving. Optional: Turn the oven to broil and cook for 1-2 minutes, this will give the chicken a nice golden crispy skin.