Roasted Carrot & Red Onion Salad with a Spiced Tahini Dressing
As much as I enjoy simple salads, I love coming up with creative new salad recipes that are packed full of flavour and have a few unexpected ingredients.
This salad is the perfect example, heirloom carrots and red onion are roasted until tender and then served on a bed of arugula with sunflower seeds, fresh mint and drizzled with a spicy tahini dressing. There is so much flavour packed into every bite.
I used beautiful heirloom carrots because I am a total sucker for colourful vegetables, but you can also use just orange carrots if that’s all you have access to, it won’t make any difference to the flavour of the salad.
Although you could serve this salad while the roasted vegetables are still warm, I find that the sweet flavour of the carrots really comes through when they are at room temperature.
As feta is allowed (in small doses) on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, I really like the saltiness a little bit crumbled on top adds, but if you are on a Whole30, Vegan or Paleo then skip it and sprinkle a bit more salt over the salad before serving.
You can prep this salad up to a day in advance, I would just advise keeping the dressing separate and only tossing it all together right before serving so that the arugula doesn’t wilt.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite1) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
- 12-15 small carrots
- 2 red onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups arugula (aka rocket)
- 3 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta (optional) skip if Vegan/Paleo/Whole30
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (400 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Cut the carrots in half lengthwise and cut the red onion into wedges. Place both veggies on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil and salt. Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes until the carrots are tender and the red onion has softened. Once cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing. You may need to add more water to thin it out. Taste and add more red wine vinegar or tahini if desired.
- Place the arugula in a salad bowl or serving platter and arrange the roasted vegetables over top. Sprinkle with the sunflower seeds, chopped fresh mint and feta. Drizzle the dressing over top just before serving and toss to combine.