Citrus, Fennel, Avocado & Shrimp Salad
This refreshing salad is perfect for spring. It packs lots of flavour and takes just 20 minutes to prepare, making it ideal for a quick lunch or easy weeknight dinner.
This is spring in a bowl! Packed with juicy chunks of citrus (grapefruit and orange), creamy avocado, crunchy fennel and seared shrimp, it really ticks all of the boxes. I love the contrasting flavours of tart grapefruit and sweet orange which make this salad incredibly refreshing, but you could use just one or the other citrus depending on what you have on hand. The shrimp are quickly marinated in a lime, orange, and dijon mustard sauce which multiplies as a salad dressing and gives the shrimp a nice citrusy flavour.
Enjoy this salad as a healthy lunch, light dinner, or serve it as an appetizer at a dinner party or barbecue, everyone will love the fresh flavours!
How to determine if an avocado is ripe:
While some squeeze an avocado to test for ripeness, this can bruise the inner flesh. Instead remove the nub at the top of the avocado where the stem would connect:
- If the nub comes off and there is brown underneath, then the avocado is overripe and you will likely find brown spots inside
- If the nub does not come off easily then the avocado is not yet ripe and should be left to ripen
- If the nub comes comes off easily and it is green underneath, the avocado is ripe and ready to eat
If the avocado is perfectly ripe but you aren’t ready to eat it, store it in the fridge, it will dramatically slow the ripening process.
Variations to the dish:
- Use spinach, arugula or baby kale as a replacement for lettuce
- Omit the shrimp to make it vegan
- Don’t eat shellfish? Swap the shrimp for salmon or chicken
- If you can’t find fennel, use a crunchy vegetable such as cucumber in its place
Here are a few other fresh spring salads that you will love:
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Citrus, Fennel, Avocado & Shrimp SaladLeave a Review »
- 12 large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 small bulb fennel
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 large orange
- 1 avocado
- 6 cups lettuce
- 2 tbsp finely diced shallots
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tbsp orange zest
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a bowl whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing. Place the shrimp In a separate bowl and pour half of the dressing over the shrimp. Give them a stir to ensure that they are all well coated in the dressing. Leave to marinate while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Remove the peel from the grapefruit and orange and then cut each into segments. Cut the fennel bulb in half lengthwise and then thinly slice or shave each half into thin pieces. Slice the avocado.
- Heat a non stick skillet or grill pan on medium high heat. Add in the shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until cooked through and pink in colour.
- Place the lettuce in a large salad bowl an arrange the sliced fennel, avocado and grapefruit and orange segments on top. Top with the cooked shrimp and then toss the salad in the reserved dressing. Serve.