Green Bean & Roasted Fennel Salad
This salad is so simple and requires only a few ingredients, but it is full of flavour and absolutely delicious.
I am currently dealing with a bit of a fennel addiction. I love adding it raw to salads, but I think it really shines when it’s roasted in the oven. It’s amazing how the flavour of fennel transforms from licorice when raw, to sweet and caramelized once roasted.
I really love the contrasting flavours and textures in this salad. The roasted fennel is soft and tender while the beans are crisp and the flaked almonds add crunch.
When serving green beans cold in salads, I prefer to keep them quite crisp and only slightly tender. I personally think that there is nothing worse then mushy green beans in a salad.
The dressing for this salad is a very simple vinaigrette made with lemon, capers and lots of parsley. It’s really fresh in flavour with a nice kick of saltiness thanks to the addition of capers.
This salad will last for about 3 days in the fridge so you can make a big batch and enjoy it for lunch and as a side dish over a few days.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Green Bean & Roasted Fennel SaladLeave a Review »
- 2 medium bulbs fennel
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400 grams green beans
- 1/3 cup parsley
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp capers
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup flaked almonds toasted
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Cut the fennel bulbs into slices and place them in a baking dish. Drizzle the fennel with 1 tbsp olive oil and toss with your hands to ensure that they are evenly coated. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until tender and golden in colour.
- While the fennel is baking, bring a pot of water to a boil. Cook the green beans for 3 minutes until slightly tender and then drain and rinse with cold water to stop them cooking further.
- In a food processor combine the parsley, lemon juice, capers, olive oil, salt and pepper. Blend until the parsley is broken into small bits.
- In a bowl combine the green beans, fennel and flaked almonds and toss in the parsley and caper dressing. Enjoy!