This salad contains two things I am currently addicted to, cauliflower couscous and Asian salad dressing. Combine these two ingredients in one dish and you have a healthy and very addicting salad that I can’t stop eating (seriously, 6 lunches in the past week!).
Look at how gorgeous this salad is! I absolutely love the combination of vibrant colours. Many nutritionists recommend eating a diet of colorful food to ensure you get enough vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to nourish your body and this salad is a great place to start. Purple cabbage is a good source of Vitamin C with 1 cup containing over 56% of the recommended daily intake. Yellow and red peppers are also high in Vitamin C as well as Vitamin A, B6 and E. Carrots are rich in antioxidants including beta-carotene (which your body converts into Vitamin A) which has been shown to decrease the risk of heart disease and some forms of cancer. Cucumber is a good source of fiber and minerals including copper, potassium and manganese and is made up of almost 95% water, which fills you up while being low in calories.
There are so many great flavours and textures in this salad. The fresh peppers and cucumbers provide a crunch while the cauliflower couscous absorbs the dressing, ensuring that each bite is filled with delicious asian flavours. The dressing is made of peanut or cashew butter, soy sauce (or tamari) sesame oil, lime, garlic and ginger. I promise you will be dipping anything you can find into it (and eventually just eating it by the spoonful when no one is looking). To keep the flavours fresh, I recommend storing the salad and dressing separately and mixing together right before serving. I hope you enjoy the flavours in the delicious low calorie salad.
- 2 cups cauliflower couscous (1 small head cauliflower)
- 1 cup grated red cabbage
- ½ cup yellow pepper, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup red pepper, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup cucumber, cut into small pieces
- ⅓ cup coriandor
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tbsp peanut butter (or cashew butter for paleo)
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp honey (or other sweetener)
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- Cut the cauliflower into small pieces and place in a food processor or hand held blender.The cauliflower will break into little bits within 10 seconds, continue blending until it has all broken down to the same size and should resemble couscous. Depending on the size of your machine you may need to do this in batches. Place the couscous in a bowl
- Top the cauliflower with the peppers, red cabbage, carrots, cucumber, finely chopped green onions and coriander
- In a blender combine the ingredients for the dressing and blend until smooth
- Right before serving toss the salad with the dressing. Enjoy!