Mexican Breakfast Hash
This Mexican Hash is one of my favourite healthy Whole30 breakfast recipes. It’s packed with spicy cubes of butternut squash, chorizo, spinach, jalapenos and lots of Mexican spice all topped with baked eggs. This crowd pleasing hash is Whole30, Paleo, Gluten Free, Grain Free and SCD legal.
I seem to spend a large portion of each work week dreaming of all of the delicious breakfast recipes I will make on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Unfortunately once the weekend rolls around, the mornings seem to fly by before I’ve even had a chance to crack an egg. To combat the weekend breakfast rush I have started making dishes that can be prepared the night before and quickly heated the next morning. This Mexican Hash is one of my favourite make ahead dishes with everything you could ask for in a breakfast.
Why is it the answer to all of our breakfast prayers? Well for starters, let’s be honest, anything with Mexican flavours and topped with avocado has a fairly high probability of being delicious. Next, you can make most of this recipe the night before and then throw it all together and bake in the oven with eggs the next morning. This makes it a great dish to serve to guests or if you are short on time, no chopping onions at 7am woohoo!
Another great thing about this dish is that there is no limit to the time of day it can be served, the flavour are great for any meal so if you are busy and don’t get around to making breakfast until 3pm, no one will complain.
So what exactly is in this Mexican Hash? Well there are cubes of butternut squash which are tossed in cumin and smoked paprika and then baked in the oven until crisp. In a pan, onions are sautéed with peppers, spinach, spicy chorizo and jalapenos and then seasoned with more cumin and a splash of lime juice. The veggies are all added together with the butternut squash, topped with eggs and then baked in the oven until the egg whites are firm and the yolks are slightly runny. Just before eating, the dish is topped with coriander and served alongside avocado or salsa and lime wedges.
You could also serve this dish with fresh tortillas or lettuce wraps that can be filled with the mixture and wrapped up into a breakfast burrito. To make this dish Specific Carbohydrate Diet legal I have used butternut squash but for those not following the diet, sweet potatoes would be a great substitution.
Here are a few other breakfast recipes that you might enjoy:
- Mexican Eggs Benedict
- Breakfast Tacos
- Greek Breakfast Frittata
- Ratatouille Baked Eggs
- Kale, Spinach & Mushroom Baked Eggs
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash approx 1 small squash
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 tbsp jalapeno pepper finely diced + more for garnish
- 1 red pepper chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped chorizo
- 1 1/2 cups spinach
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- 3-4 eggs depending on the size of your skillet
- 1 avocado
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Peel and remove the seeds from the butternut squash and cut into small 1/2 inch sized cubes. Place the cubes in a bowl with 1 tbsp oil, smoked paprika and 1 tsp cumin and toss so that each cube is well seasoned. Place the butternut squash on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- While the butternut squash cooks, in a cast iron skillet or oven proof frying pan saute the chorizo in 1 tbsp oil with a pinch of salt, the diced onion, peppers and 1 tbsp of the diced jalapeno. Once the onion becomes translucent (4-5 minutes) add in the spinach, 1/2 tsp lime juice and 1 tsp cumin. Cook for another minute.*
- Add the butternut squash to pan with the veggies and stir to ensure everything is evenly mixed. Create 3-4 wells in the mixture and crack an egg into each.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook for 8-10 minutes depending on how runny you prefer your eggs.
- Remove from the oven and serve with sliced avocado and wedges of lime.