Pesto & Roasted Tomato Stuffed Mushrooms
Truth be told, if I was lazy, this recipe would contain less then 5 ingredients, roasted tomatoes from a jar, store bought pesto and mushrooms.
But here at Every Last Bite we like to make things from scratch, especially when it’s sooo easy to do.
I think that jarred roasted tomatoes were one of the first labels I ever took the time to read and I was blown away with the long list of ingredients. How naïve I was to think that roasted tomatoes contained just tomatoes, oil and herbs, the list of preservatives and additives was almost 10 items long. These oven roasted tomatoes have so much flavour, take less then 30 minutes to make and contain natural, simple ingredients.
If you already have pesto ready, then feel free to use that. I had some leftover broccoli pesto from my post last week that I used for these mushrooms, but I’ve also included a super simple spinach and basil pesto recipe that you can whip up in less then 2 minutes.
I used chestnut mushrooms in this recipe because I like how meaty they are. I also like the way they hold their shape and do not release as much water when baked as portobello mushrooms, so the filling stays contained and the flavours don’t become watered down.
You can fully stuff the mushrooms up to 2 days in advance and then just bake them in the oven before serving.
I really like eating these warm, but leftover are also delicious enjoyed cold the next day. If you are a fan of stuffed mushrooms, I also have these Turkey & Spinach Mushrooms you might enjoy.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Pesto & Roasted Tomato Stuffed MushroomsLeave a Review »
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 250 g chestnut mushrooms approx 8-10 mushrooms
- 1/3 cup Broccoli Pesto or Spinach Pesto recipe below
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves chopped
- balsamic reduction optional
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (400 degrees Fahrenheit)
- In a bowl toss the halved cherry tomatoes with the olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Lay the tomatoes out evenly on a baking sheet or in a cast iron skillet, reserving the excess oil in the bowl to use later.
- Bake the tomatoes in the oven for 25 minutes, flipping them half way through cooking to ensure they don't burn. The tomatoes will cook quicker if you drain any excess liquid from the pan into the reserved oil bowl half way through cooking. Remove the tomatoes from the oven once they have begun to shrivel and lose their moisture. Remove from the pan/skillet and set aside
- While the tomatoes are cooking prepare the mushrooms by cleaning them, removing the stem and using a spoon to scoop out the gills. Place the cleaned mushrooms in the skillet/pan used to cook the tomatoes.
- Brush the mushrooms all over (inside and out) with the reserved oil from the tomatoes. Fill each mushroom with a spoonful of pesto and then top with 3 to 4 roasted tomatoes,
- Bake the mushrooms in the oven for 20 minutes until they have completely softened. Top with the chopped basil and a drizzle of balsamic before serving.
Easy PestoLeave a Review »
- 1 cup packed fresh basil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (or parmesan if SCD)
- Place all of the ingredients in a good processor or blend and pulse until broken into a thick smooth consistency.