Ginger & Orange Braised Short Ribs
These Sesame Ginger Short Ribs are fall apart tender and smothered in a delicious sticky orange, ginger and sesame sauce. They are a great crowd pleasing make ahead dish and freezes well too. These Short Ribs Paleo, Whole30, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, and Specific Carbohydrate Legal.
Braised Short Ribs are one of my absolute favourite meat dishes and something I am guaranteed to order whenever I see it on a menu.
These Sesame Ginger Short Ribs are such an awesome dish to serve to guests that you are trying to impress because they require minimal effort but are so fall apart tender and full of flavour that you can be assured you will receive rave reviews from everyone.
In this recipe the ribs are slowly cooked in an Asian inspired flavoured sauce made with orange, chili peppers and lots of ginger. The short ribs are cooked until they are fall off the bone tender, the sauce has thickened and the flavours have developed into a delicious richness.
You can cook the Sesame Ginger Short Ribs up to two days in advance and then simply warm them in the oven and the sauce in a pot on the stove before serving. I like serving these with coconut & lime cauliflower rice and some steamed veggies and then pouring the delicious sauce over everything.
For the first few years that I lived in the UK I was shocked at how hard it was to find short ribs, a cut of meat which you can find everywhere in North America. I was particularly frustrated when many butchers would give me a blank stare when I requested the cut. It turns out that short ribs primarily go by the name of Jacobs Ladder in the UK, hopefully a handy for any expats struggling to find this cut of meat.
Here are a few more comforting recipes that you might enjoy:
- Whole30 Braised Short Ribs
- Ginger & Orange Braised Short Ribs
- Slow Cooker BBQ Ribs
- Braised Lamb Shanks
- Slow Cooker Brisket with Balsamic Onion Gravy
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Ginger & Orange Beef Short Ribs
- 1.5 kgs short ribs
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 fresno chili pepper finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 inch piece of ginger 3 tbsp chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos or tamari
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius (375 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Season the short ribs on all sides with the salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a dutch oven or oven proof pot and brown the short ribs on all sides. Once browned, transfer the short ribs to a plate.
- In the pot add the chopped onion, chili, garlic and ginger and cook on medium heat for approximately 5 minutes until the onions become translucent. Add in the coconut aminos, orange juice, beef stock and vinegar and cook for a few minutes until the mixture begins to boil. Add the short ribs back into the pot, cover and then transfer to the oven.
- Cook for 2 hours and 30 minutes until the short ribs are tender and falling off the bone.
- Remove the short ribs from the pot and place on a baking sheet to stay warm in the oven. Put the liquid remaining in the pot into a blender, or alternatively using a hand emulsifier blend the sauce until its smooth.
- Brush the sauce over the short ribs and sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped cilantro before serving.