I absolutely love Mexican food and will happily eat it every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner. These stuffed peppers are going to be a hit with anyone who shares my love for the flavours of lime, cumin, and chilli.
The peppers are the ideal sturdy base for a filling of cauliflower rice, tomatoes, onions, coriander, diced chicken and lots of seasoning. Sautéed shrimp or beef would make a great alternative to the chicken, and chopped mushrooms would add great substance for vegans.
I topped each pepper with some sliced avocado, salsa and grated cheddar for some added decadence. These keep for a few days in the fridge so I wouldn’t stress about making too many, they will quickly disappear.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite1) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
- 4 red, orange or yellow bell peppers
- 2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic,crushed
- 2½ cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder (or more as needed)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 3 cups cauliflower rice (approx 1 small cauliflower)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced
- grated cheese
- ¼ cup salsa
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Cut the peppers in half and remove the seeds. Place them on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven
- In a pan on medium heat, sautee the onion, garlic and tomatoes in olive oil for 5 minutes until the onion becomes translucent in colour.
- Add the chopped chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Lower the heat to medium low and add in the cumin, paprika, chilli powder and lime juice. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in the cauliflower couscous and cilantro and stir to ensure everything is well combined. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the cauliflower becomes slightly tender (don't overcook it!).
- Fill each pepper with the mixture and return to the oven to cook for 10 more minutes.
- Serve warm topped with salsa, avocado or cheese