This Paleo Carrot Cake is super moist and packed with grated carrot, walnuts, raisins and coconut. The 2 layers of cake are coated in a creamy cashew based icing and garnished with chopped walnuts. It’s Paleo, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal too!
As Easter was last weekend and the Easter Bunny loves his carrots, I thought this was the perfect time to post a paleo carrot cake recipe.
This carrot cake is pretty dense and super moist. I love packing my carrot cake with the works, walnuts, raisins and loads of carrots.
I originally created this recipe in bar form, but I recently remade it and decided that it was the perfect consistency to be made into a layered cake.
I loved layered cake because layers = more icing.
You could keep this paleo carrot cake in bar form with just icing on the top if you aren’t as big an icing addict as I am, I promise not to judge. I topped the cake with chopped walnuts and shredded coconut to make it look extra pretty.
Looking for other dessert ideas? Here are a few other cake and cupcake recipes that you might enjoy:
- Lemon & Mixed Berry Cupcakes
- Orange, Pistachio & Almond Cake
- Coconut & Lime Cupcakes
- Lemon Layered Cake with Strawberry Filling and Pink Ombre Icing
- Carrot Cake Mug Cake
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
- 2 1/2 cups Almond Flour
- 1/2 cup Coconut Flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped + 1/4 cup for garnish
- 1/3 cup sultanas or raisins
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes for garnish
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Line an 8 inch x 8 inch baking dish with parchment paper
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, honey, vanilla, orange juice and coconut oil
- Add in the flours, baking soda, salt and spices and mix well
- Stir in the carrot, walnuts and sultanas (or raisins)
- Pour into the lined baking dish and bake for 50 minutes until a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean
- Let cool and then cut the cake in half. Frost the middle, top and sides of the cake. Top the cake with chopped walnuts and shredded coconut.
- 1 cup cashews soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- Blend the cashews, vanilla extract, honey and lemon juice in a food processor until completely smooth.
- Add in the coconut oil and coconut cream and blend until smooth. If the icing is too liquid, store it in the fridge for a few minutes to firm up. This icing will last for up to 4 days in the fridge.