Coconut & Lime Cupcakes
There is nothing that brightens my day more than a cupcake. A moist and flavourful cake topped with a disproportionate amount of creamy icing (my favourite part), that can quickly be demolished in less than 3 bites.
There is a recipe on this site for lemon cupcakes with strawberry icing which are so incredibly good that I have been happily eating my way through batch after batch for the past year without getting bored (I promise this says a lot more about the amazingness of these cupcakes then how dull my tastes are).
I was suffering with a major sweet tooth last week and with no lemons in site, decided it was finally time to experiment with a new cupcake flavour. Drum roll…….
Coconut & Lime Cupcakes! A zesty lime and coconut muffin topped with a creamy whipped coconut icing and sprinkled with lime zest. I like to think of this as a cupcake flavour for grown ups.
The icing holds its shape best when cold so I recommend keeping the cupcakes in the fridge once iced. If you are a big fan of citrus, add another teaspoon of lime juice to the cupcakes to really bring out the zesty lime flavour.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Coconut & Lime CupcakesLeave a Review »
- Lime Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 1/4 cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey or other sweetener
- Coconut Lime Icing
- 3/4 cup coconut cream refrigerated until firm
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) and line a muffin tray with liners
- In a mixing bowl combine the flours, coconut and baking soda. Add in the eggs, vanilla, lime juice and zest, butter (or coconut oil) and honey and stir well.
- Fill each muffin cup with batter and place the tray in the oven to bake for 20 minutes. Keep an eye on them to make sure they don't burn on the top. After 20 minutes remove from the oven and insert a toothpick in the middle to ensure they are cooked through. Allow to cool
- In a bowl gently stir together the honey, lime juice, 1/2 tbsp zest and coconut cream until well combined. Try to stir as gently as possible so the mixture doesn't melt/soften, if it does soften, place the icing in the fridge for a few minutes.
- Place the icing in a piping bag (or ziploc bag fitted with a decorating tip) and ice each cupcake moving in circles from the center outwards. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tbsp lime zest. Store in a container in the fridge.