Spicy Tomato Gazpacho
Spain is just a short 2 hour flight from London which makes it the perfect destination for a sunny, sangria filled long weekend away. Although Spanish food is great, many of the staples you find on almost every restaurant menu such as paella, patatas bravas and croquettes are quite heavy and definitely not SCD legal. On my last trip to the island of Mallorca I fell in love with gazpacho. Its light and refreshing yet full of flavour, making it the perfect lunch to enjoy on a hot day.
As soon as I got back to London, I set to work creating a delicious gazpacho recipe. Personally I prefer my gazpacho on the chunkier side as I like the crunch of some of the vegetables, but if you prefer it smoother you can just puree all of the vegetables rather then mixing a portion of the chopped veggies in at the end. I am also a fan of spice, the first time I made this recipe I put in a whole chilli which I quickly realized was too bold a move. I recommend playing around with the flavors by adding more or less lemon/balsamic/garlic/chilli to get it just the way you like.
Enjoyed on a warm summers day for lunch, or served with a plate of antipasti for a light dinner, this fresh and flavorful soup is the perfect addition to any summer time menu.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Spicy Tomato Gazpacho
- 8 large tomatoes 4 chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/4 white onion
- 1 chilli
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 red pepper 1/2 chopped into small pieces
- 1 yellow pepper 1/2 chopped into small pieces
- 1 English cucumber (1/2 chopped into small pieces
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup basil chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a blender combine half of the tomatoes, red onion, white onion, chilli (start with 1/2 and then add more depending on desired spice), 1/4 garlic, olive oil, tomato juice, 1/2 red pepper, 1/2 yellow pepper, 1/2 cucumber, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice.
- Pulse until the mixture becomes a smooth consistency
- Pour into a bowl and then stir in the remaining chopped tomatoes, cucumber, yellow and red peppers and basil, I like to save a small amount of the chopped tomatoes and basil to use as a garnish when serving
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Serve with a sprinkle of chopped tomato and basil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Enjoy!