Mexican Chicken Burgers
These Mexican Paleo Chicken Burgers are so flavourful! The chicken patties are packed with cilantro, jalapeno, lime and Mexican spices and are served with salsa and guacamole. Serve these burgers on a grilled sliced of butternut squash to make them Whole30, Paleo, Grain Free, Gluten Free & Keto!
With an endless number of barbecues this time of year, it’s easy to get bored of eating the same basic burgers over and over again. To add a bit of variation to your grilling routine, try these Mexican Paleo Chicken Burgers.
The patties are spiced with cumin and smoked paprika and mixed with chopped red onion, jalapeños and cilantro for extra flavour and texture. I serve the patties on a grilled slice of butternut squash to keep these burgers completely SCD compliant, but you can alternatively use sweet potato slices prepared the same way if you are following a less restrictive grain free/Paleo diet.
I topped each patty with smashed avocado and a fresh salsa, but feel free to add on any other toppings such as grated cheese, jalapenos or pureed black beans.
Here are a few other burger recipes that you might enjoy:
- Shrimp Burgers
- Loaded Hamburgers with Special Sauce
- Lemon & Herb Salmon Burgers
- Hawaiian Chicken Burgers
- Greek Lamb Burgers
- Cajun Salmon Burgers with Mango Salsa
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Mexican Chicken Burgers
- 700 grams ground chicken
- 1/2 a red onion
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp almond flour
- juice and zest from 1 lime
- 1 jalapeño finely diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- 2 large tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1/2 a red onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño finely chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- pinch of salt
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 5 slices butternut squash/sweet potato
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 avocado
- In a bowl combine the ground chicken, onion, cumin, smoked paprika, crushed garlic, egg, almond flour, juice and zest from 1 lime, jalapeño and cilantro. Using your hands blend everything together so that the seasoning is evenly distributed throughout the ground chicken.
- Form the mixture into 5 to 6 patties.
- In a bowl combine the chopped tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeño and lime juice. Stir until combined and sprinkle with salt. Taste and add more lime juice or jalapeño as desired. Set the salsa aside.
- In a bowl break up the avocado with a fork until its broken into small chunks.
- Peel the butternut squash and slice into approximately 1/2 inch thick rounds. Lightly brush the circles with olive oil
- Heat a grill to medium high heat. Grill the butternut squash for approximately 3-4 minutes per side until grill marks appear and the squash is slightly tender.
- Gril the patties for approximately 6 minutes per side until cooked through.
- To serve top a butternut squash circle with lettuce, a chicken patty, smashed avocado and salsa. Serve warm.
Pingback: Tex-Mex Burgers recipe | MarlaMeridith.com
This looks super healthy and tasty! Make me a chicken burger mexican style.
I made these burgers last night and they were a GREAT hit. We all loved them. I will make them again and again. Thanks
all the family loved these! I served them on sweet potato with guacmole – massive hit and will be doing them again very soon, great recipe
Pingback: Whole30 Lunch Recipes for Your New Years Resolution
These tasted fabulous, thanks for the great idea with the butternut squash too. It made a lovely change from lettuce and took about 5 minutes:)
I’m so happy that you enjoyed the burgers and the butternut squash!! I love using butternut squash as a base for things, it adds great flavour while still being healthy. Thank you for the kind comment! 🙂
Planning on making these but not sure how I would go about peeling and cutting the butternut squash, it’s so hard…
I find it easier to peel with a knife. Unfortunately the only other recommendation I have is a sharp knife! Let me know how the burgers go!
Pingback: Easy & Delicious Mexican Turkey Burgers | Wholistic Hub
These burgers are amazing! They are by far the most delicious food I have made in a long time. We will definitely have them many times this summer.
Wow what a compliment! I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed them!!
I used ground chicken from the store since I don’t have a food processor… they turned out a little dry. Not sure how to make them juicer with the store bought ground chicken
I’m sorry to hear that they were dry! Maybe next time reduce the amount of almond flour by 1/3 and see if the texture improves. Hopefully that helps!
Pingback: 50+ Burgers and Sides - Over The Big Moon
Pingback: 40 Easy Burger Recipes That Are Really Mind Blowing
DEFINITELY A WINNER! THANK YOU!!!
Thanks for the feedback!
Patty. Needs. SALT!
Where can I find the nutrition info? I love your recipes!!!! These look amazing!!
Could I use ground turkey ?
Yes you definitely can!
Yes you definitely can
Pingback: 10 Tasty Paleo Ground Chicken Recipes You'll Love