Chicken & Pomelo Salad
My version of adult Disneyland exists for just 5 days each June. It usually rains the entire time and after 3 hours I return home with an empty wallet and a very full belly, but for those 3 hours I feel like a little kid bursting with excitement, running from place to place while SA unhappily trails behind.
Where is this magical place you ask? Its the London Taste Festival, an annual festival in Regents park where top restaurants from across the city set up stands to showcase their signature dishes in bite sized form. This year there were over 30 top restaurants that participated as well as a large number of vendors selling everything from sugar and grain free marshmallows and artisan cheese to fancy knives and frying pans. There are 18 cities around the world where they currently have Taste Festivals, you can click here to see if there is one near you, but please come back, I have a fantastic salad to share with you.
My favourite dish from the event was a Shredded Chicken and Pomelo Salad from House of Ho, a Vietnamese Restaurant in Soho. I loved it so much that I went back for seconds and then ordered a third one to take home.
I had been meaning to create my own version of this salad but was stuck on one of the star ingredients, pomelo. Pomelo (don’t worry I had never heard of it either) is a citrus fruit from Southeast Asia that most closely resembles a large grapefruit. The flavour is unique as it is not as sweet as an orange and not as tart as a grapefruit but sits somewhere in between. When I spotted a crate of pomelo at my local fruit stand last weekend, I bought one and rushed home to start cooking.
I absolutely love this salad. Its crunchy, salty, citrusy, full of flavour and texture and highly addicting. It is easy to make and unlike other salads which turn into a soggy mess, this still tastes great as leftovers on day 2 and even 3. If you are unable to find pomelo, I think this could also work with a grapefruit and for those following the Paleo diet the peanuts can be substituted for cashews.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Chicken & Pomelo Salad
- 2 cups white cabbage
- 1 cup red cabbage
- 1/2 cup thinly cut carrots
- 2 tbsp shallots thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup peanuts or cashews
- 1/3 cup coriander/cilantro
- 1/2 large pomelo or 1 medium pomelo/grapefruit
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds toasted
- 1 chicken breast cooked & shredded
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 2 lemongrass stalks outer leaves removed and white part chopped finely
- 4 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos or tamari
- 1 tsp honey (sub for 1 tbsp orange juice for Whole30)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Thinly slice the red and white cabbage, carrots and red onion and shred the chicken. Place in a bowl along with the peanuts, chopped coriander and sesame seeds
- Peel the pomelo, remove the skin and cut each segment of flesh into 2 or 3 pieces, add to the salad
- Place the dressing ingredients in a hand mixer and blend. Drizzle over salad and toss. Enjoy!