Beet, Orange, Watercress & Walnut Salad
I am dealing with a spiralizer obsession at the moment. No matter what I make, the first thought that always seems to cross my mind is “Can I spiralize that?”. There is something about spiralized food, especially vegetables, which I am convinced causes them to taste better when cut into long thin curly noodles. This salad has been on my bottomless list of recipes to make for quite a while, but when I realized I could turn the beets into gorgeous thin noodles, it quickly jumped to the top of the list and I set to work.
I love the different flavours and textures in this salad. I highly recommend using a spirallizer (this is the one I use) to turn the beets into long noodles which add an element of fun to the dish. If you don’t have a spiralizer you can use a julienne or cut the beets into thin strips by hand. I love the combination of toasted walnuts and beets, with the nuts adding a nice crunch to the salad. Segments of juicy orange and peppery watercress complete this vibrant dish.
I served this salad with olive oil and a splash of raspberry vinegar. I used to buy flavoured vinegars from the groccery store but found they were often packed with sugar and artificial flavouring. I have begun to make my own flavoured vinegars by simply combining fresh raspberries and red wine vinegar in a jar and allowing them to rest for a week, the end result is delicious and completely sugar free. I have included a link for an easy raspberry vinegar below but you can also use store bought if you are able to find one that does not contain sugar.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Beet Salad with Orange, Walnuts & Watercress
- 2 Large Beets
- 1 1/2 cups watercress
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts chopped
- 1 large orange cut into segments
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp raspberry vinegar
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Wash the beets and place in the spiralizer and cut into thin noodles or julienne. Place the beet noodles onto a baking tray, drizzle with 1tbsp olive oil and bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes or until they become soft. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- In a bowl combine the watercress, walnuts and beet noodles. Add the orange right before serving to prevent the colour from the beets bleeding onto the oranges.
- Toss with raspberry vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper and serve.