Radicchio, Butternut Squash, Dried Cherry & Cauliflower Couscous Salad
I can’t believe I haven’t posted a cauliflower recipe in over a month! I can’t begin to tell you the willpower that has been required to refrain from posting something containing my favourite (and I swear worlds most versatile) vegetable. I absolutely love cauliflower couscous and serve it regularly as a base to a variety of different salads including my Asian Cauliflower Couscous Salad and a Mexican Cauliflower Couscous Salad I made for DailyBurn (which unfortunately is not SCD/Paleo).
This salad is filled with a delicious combination of tart, creamy and sweet flavours. Radicchio is a chicory which is rich in fibre, antioxidants and vitamins, including vitamin K which helps strengthen bones and prevent osteoporosis. I know that some people shy away from radicchio because it is quite bitter in flavour (especially when eaten by itself) but in this salad the sweetness from the dried cherries and roasted butternut squash helps mellow the bitterness. If you still think the flavour of the radicchio might be a bit too strong for you, then I recommend lightly tossing it in olive oil and roasting it in the oven at 200 degree Celsius for 10 minutes before chopping it up and adding it to the salad.
Cauliflower couscous is a great grain free base for salad as it gives the dish substance and fills you up but is very low in calories (just 27 calories per cup!). Plus like couscous or quinoa, the tiny bits of cauliflower absorb the dressing to maximize the amount of flavour in each bite. The creamy dressing listed below contains an egg yolk, but I have also included a vegan alternative if you prefer to steer clear of raw eggs. I hope you enjoy!
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Radicchio, Butternut Squash, Dried Cherry & Cauliflower Couscous SaladLeave a Review »
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups butternut squash cubed
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1/3 cup dried cherries naturally sweetened
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2/3 cup thinly chopped radicchio
- 1 egg yolk *
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp honey or other sweetener
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius
- Peel the butternut squash and cut into ½ inch sized cubes, place on a baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and salt & pepper and place in the oven to bake for 30-35 minutes. Keep an eye on the squash and flip them once they begin to brown.
- Cut the cauliflower into chunks and place in a food processor or hand held blender. The cauliflower will break into little bits within 10 seconds, continue blending until it has all broken down to the same size and should resemble couscous. Depending on the size of your machine you may need to do this in batches.
- Place the cauliflower couscous in a bowl along with the chopped radicchio, dried cherries, parsley and butternut squash.
- For the dressing, combine all of the dressing ingredients listed above and blend.
- Toss the salad with the dressing and serve.