Crab, Roasted Tomato & Basil on Spaghetti Squash
I am absolutely addicted to this dish and have been eating it for lunch or dinner every day for the past week. It’s incredibly easy to make and the leftovers are so darn good you will find yourself sneaking spoonfuls of the sauce from the fridge.
For the majority of the year I use zucchini noodles as a base for my pasta dishes solely because zucchini is available everywhere. During the months of September through November spaghetti squash begin to pop up in specialty vegetable stores here in the UK, although I have heard they are much easier to find in North America. When I come across spaghetti squash in stores I try to stock up on as many as possible and store them on my counter where they will last for over 6 weeks.
The last but most important part of this dish is the sauce, ooh the sauce. Chunks of fresh crab, oven roasted juicy tomatoes that burst with flavor and a delicious tomato sauce with hints of garlic, chilli and lemon. You can adjust the amounts of chilli, lemon and garlic to meet your taste, but I prefer to go easy on the spice to let the flavours of the crab really shine through.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Crab, Roasted Tomato & Basil Spaghetti SquashLeave a Review »
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp chilli or more depending on desired spice, finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp honey (omit if Whole30)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 cup fresh crab
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half and using a spoon remove the seeds from the center. Lightly brush the inside with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and place each half face down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes or until a fork easily pierces through the squash. Place the spaghetti squash on a plate and allow to cool
- Place the cherry tomatoes on the same baking sheet and lightly drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes until the tomatoes become blistered.
- While the squash/tomatoes are baking, using a knife, cut a shallow X on the top of each of the medium sized tomatoes. Place in a bowl and cover with hot water. Let sit for no longer then a minute before removing from the water and peeling the skin off each of the tomatoes. Roughly chop the tomatoes into small pieces
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium frying pan and cook the chilli and garlic for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Add in the chopped tomatoes, lemon zest, juice and honey and allow to simmer for 10-12 minutes until the sauce begins to bubble and thicken. Add in the crab and chopped basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Using a fork scrape the inside of the baked spaghetti squash, removing the flesh in strands. Split the "spaghetti" amongst 4 plates. Top the squash with the sauce, cherry tomatoes and a sprinkle of parmesan. Enjoy!