Crab & Tomato Spaghetti Squash
This Crab, Tomato & Basil Spaghetti Squash is perfect for a night when you want to impress. The tomato sauce is loaded with fresh flavour from the lemon, garlic and basil which perfectly compliments the lumps of crab. Serve this sauce on spaghetti squash to make it Whole30, Paleo, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal.
I am absolutely addicted to this Crab Spaghetti Squash dish and have been eating it for lunch or dinner every day for the past week. It’s incredibly easy to make and the leftovers are so darn good you will find yourself sneaking spoonfuls of the sauce from the fridge.
WHAT TYPE OF PASTA TO USE
The sauce is obviously the star of the show in this dish, with the pasta its served on just a vessel. If you are on a Whole30 or Paleo diet then I recommend serving it on spaghetti squash because it’s light and the flavour goes well with the sauce. Zucchini noodles are also a great option although I find them better suited for creamier sauces that coat every strand. If you are not on a grain or gluten free diet then serve this sauce over spaghetti or bucatini.
HOW TO COOK SPAGHETTI SQUASH QUICKLY
I like to cook spaghetti squash in the microwave because its quick and easy. Simply prick the spaghetti squash all over with a fork and then pop it into the microwave for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes it should be tender enough to cut through with a knife. Cut the spaghetti squash in half width wise (this will ensure you get nice long strands of “spaghetti”) and then scoop out the seeds. Pop the halves back into the microwave and cook for 10 minutes or until the squash strands are tender and no longer have a crunch.
WHAT’S IN THE SAUCE?
The sauce is so delicious. It starts with sauteed garlic and shallots (or an onion) and then cherry tomatoes are added to the pan and left to cook until they burst and begin to soften. I recommend using cherry tomatoes as I find that they have the more flavour than grape tomatoes. If you don’t have cherry tomatoes large roma or plum would work, just ensure that they are ripe (they should smell sweet) so that the sauce has maximum flavour. If the tomatoes aren’t ripe you may just have to add a touch of sweetener such as honey to the sauce to contrast the acidic flavour of the tomatoes. Oregano, chilli flakes, lemon zest and lemon juice are then stirred into the sauce to add a nice kick of flavour. I love adding lemon to seafood sauces because I find that it really brings out the flavours.
CAN I USE SOMETHING OTHER THAN CRAB?
Yes you can! I totally get it, crab is expensive (and a pain in the butt to remove from the shell if you buy them whole). Save yourself time and money by using shrimp or prawns instead, they should just be quickly pan seared (or you can buy them already cooked) before adding them into the sauce.
CAN I MAKE THIS IN ADVANCE?
You absolutely can. You can make the sauce up to 2 days in advance and store it in the fridge. I recommend storing the sauce separate from any pasta/spaghetti squash so that it doesn’t become mushy. To reheat the sauce simply place it in a sauce pan and warm through on low heat or alternatively you can microwave it quickly.
WHAT ABOUT LEFTOVERS?
Leftovers will last for up to 3 days stored in an airtight container in the fridge. I find that the acidity in the sauce may start to break down the texture of the crab and cause it to become mushy if it’s left in the sauce for any longer.
Here are a few other spaghetti squash recipes you will love:
- Spaghetti Squash Chow Mein
- Tantanmen Ramen
- Spicy Sesame Noodles
- Spaghetti Squash Baked Eggs with Bacon & Jalapeños
- Spaghetti Bolognese Casserole
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Crab, Tomato & Basil Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 5 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups crab meat
- 3 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- Prick the spaghetti squash all over with a fork and then place it in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes the spaghetti squash will be tender enough to cut in half. Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and then return both halves to the microwave cut side up to cook for 8-10 more minutes until tender. Once the spaghetti squash is tender, run the fork gently over the inside to break it into strands and place the spaghetti strands in a bowl.
- While the spaghetti squash is in the microwave start on the sauce. In a skillet on medium heat, add the olive oil along with the diced shallot and garlic and saute for 3 minutes until the shallots begin to soften. Add in the cherry tomatoes along with the oregano, chili flakes, salt, lemon zest and lemon juice and leave to simmer for 12-15 minutes until the tomatoes have burst and softened and it has become a sauce consistency. Taste the sauce and add more chili flakes, salt or lemon juice as desired.
- Right before serving, stir the crab meat into the sauce along with the basil. Cook for another 2 minutes just until the crab is warmed. Divide the spaghetti squash between plates and spoon the sauce overtop. Garnish with additional basil (or grated parmesan) before serving.
Pingback: Crab Cakes with Roasted Red Pepper Mayonnaise | Every Last Bite
I used shrimp, it was delicious