Chicken with Mushrooms & Pancetta
Chicken breasts are guaranteed to make an appearance in at least four out of five of my weeknight dinners. Sounds pretty boring right?
Truthfully I fall into a chicken salad rut from time to time, but it’s hard to be creative when you are short on time, it’s late in the evening and your fridge is bare. I came up with this chicken and mushroom recipe on one such evening when I was starving and knew a salad just wasn’t going to cut it.
This is such a fantastic weeknight dish to add to your roster. It takes just 30 minutes to make, it is absolutely delicious, and it’s healthy, without tasting “too healthy”. The chicken is flattened and then coated in almond flour so it gets nice and crisp when cooked. The mushroom, leek, onion and pancetta mixture is a perfect pairing with its creamy and salty flavour, which is cut through with a touch of acidity from the addition of vinegar (or toss in a splash of white wine if you can’t find the right vinegar to use). If you don’t have pancetta, add in some bacon, and the leeks can easily be substituted for more onions, this recipe is super versatile! An added bonus, it requires just one pan which means less time washing up!
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Chicken with Mushrooms & PancettaLeave a Review »
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup chopped pancetta
- 2/3 cup chopped leeks
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar*
- Place the chicken breasts in a plastic bag, and using a rolling pin firmly hit them until they flatten to approximately ¼ - ½ inch in thickness. Cut each breast in half so you have a total of 4 pieces.
- In a bowl combine the almond flour, salt and pepper and coat each of the pieces of chicken in the mixture.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the chicken on medium high heat until golden brown on both sides. Remove and set aside.
- Fry the garlic and pancetta, leeks, onion and mushrooms until softened. Add in the chicken stock and vinegar and deglaze the pan, scraping the sides to loosen any of the brown bits. Leave to simmer for 4-5 minutes until the liquid begins to reduce.
- Return the chicken to the pan, reduce the heat to medium and allow to simmer for 6 more minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated. Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.