Lemon, Shrimp & Spinach Risotto
This recipe is a spin on a Lemon, Shrimp and Orzo dish that I always used to make. It was full of butter and pasta (ie in no way Paleo) but I really loved the combination of the creamy orzo and refreshing lemon flavour. Recreating a dairy and grain free version of the dish was a challenge, but I am so happy with how it turned out.
I really like using celery root rice as the base for this kind of dish, because the rice becomes really creamy, without turning to mush. All you need is a combination of almond milk and chicken stock to create a creamy and delicious risotto that contains absolutely no dairy.
Unlike the butternut squash & kale risotto recipe I posted previously, this one has a much more refreshing flavour thanks to the addition of lemon zest and juice. I really like how the lemon cuts through the creaminess of the rice without overpowering the dish.
To make this recipe, the celery root risotto is cooked for about 10 minutes in the liquid until the majority of it has evaporated.
Then you add in spinach, garlic sauteed prawns and feta (if you aren’t on a Dairy Free diet).
Make sure that you add the spinach when there is still a bit of liquid left in the pan so that it is able to wilt, but doesn’t become overcooked.
This recipe is a good base that you can play around with depending on what you have on hand. The prawns/shrimp can be swapped for chicken or scallops, the spinach can be substituted for kale and you can add in more veggies like asparagus.
Leftover will last for a few days in the fridge and are great as a packed lunch. I find that this is filling enough to be served as a main course but would also work well as an appetizer or side dish.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite1) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Lemon, Shrimp & Spinach Risotto
- 1 large celery root/celeriac (6 cups celery root rice)
- 1 tbsp olive oil or ghee
- 1 clove garlic
- 200 grams prawns
- 2 medium onion very finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 4 cups spinach
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3/4 cup chopped feta (omit if Paleo, Whole30 or Dairy Free)
- Peel the celery root and cut it into chunks. Place the cut up pieces into a food processor and pulse. The key is not to over blend, you want it to break down into small pieces about the size of rice.
- In a pot on medium heat add 1 tbsp olive oil or ghee and 1 clove crushed garlic. Add in the prawns and cook for 3 minutes until pink and just cooked. Transfer the prawns to a plate and set aside.
- Add the garlic and onion to the pan, sprinkle with salt and sauté until the onion has softened.
- Add in 6 cups of celery root rice, the almond milk and chicken stock and leave to cook for about 10 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated and the rice is tender. You may need to turn the heat to high to make the liquid evaporate.
- Once most of the liquid is gone, stir in the spinach, cooked prawns, lemon juice, zest and feta if using. Leave to cook for a few minutes until the spinach has wilted. Serve.