Celery Root Tortillas & Shredded Chicken Tacos
These Shredded Chicken Tacos in Celery Root Tortillas are a healthy spin on tacos and perfect for anyone doing a Whole30. The tacos are loaded with shredded chicken in a spicy sauce and topped with fresh pico de gallo and a creamy chipotle sauce. These Grain Free Chicken Tacos are Paleo, Whole30, Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal.
I am so excited about sharing the recipe for these Grain Free Chicken Tacos! They exceeded my expectations and have quickly become one of my favourite recipes on the blog.
I am a massive fan of Mexican food and love experimenting with healthy ways of making traditional dishes like enchiladas or tacos grain free.
In the past, in place of corn or flour tortillas I’ve used lettuce leaves for tacos and thin slices of zucchini for enchiladas, but this is the first time I can say that these faux tortillas really do seem just like tortillas.
Thinly sliced grilled celery root creates the perfect tortillas which are incredibly pliable, can withstand the weight of the taco filling, and can easily be picked up and eaten without any concern about them falling apart in your hands.
Another awesome thing about these celery root tortillas is that they don’t get soggy the way flour tortillas do. I assembled the tacos early in the morning and could easily pick them up and eat them almost 8 hours later. This makes them a great dish to make ahead and then serve to a crowd (like Super Bowl parties this weekend!).
I recommend buying the largest celery root you can find, so that the tortillas are large enough to hold a lot of filling. That being said, smaller celery root would make awesome mini tacos, perfect to serve as an appetizer.
The key to making the tortillas is cutting the celery root slices as thin as possible. I cut the slices thinly and then lay each slice flat on a cutting board and ran my knife over the surface to shave off that extra little bit.
The tortillas are so thin that they only require about 2 to 3 minutes to cook on a grill. I used a sandwich press but you could also cook them in a griddle on the stove, on the barbecue or alternatively bake them in the oven for about 10 minutes. Keep an eye on the tortillas while they cook, they should be tender, but not crisp.
The shredded chicken is incredibly tender and full of flavour. I cooked 4 chicken breasts in the slow cooker in a sauce of chopped tomatoes, ancho chilies, spices and a handful of dates for sweetness. Once the chicken is fall apart tender it is shredded and the sauce is quickly blended until its thick and smooth. The chicken is full of flavour and incredibly delicious. It is the perfect filling for tacos but would also be great tossed into a salad or eaten with a side of Mexican Cauliflower Rice.
I made a simple pico de gallo with red onion, tomatoes, cilantro and lime juice. The chicken and chipotle cream are quite spicy so I skipped using jalapeños in the salsa, but feel free to add some in if you love a little heat. If you prefer cooked salsa my Spicy Green Tomato Salsa or Oven Roasted Salsa would also be delicious in these tacos.
Feel free to swap in any of your favourite taco ingredients. Mexican Cauliflower Rice would be a great addition to make these more filling, while you can always swap the lettuce for shredded red or white cabbage.
I am so excited for you guys to make these Grain Free Chicken Tacos! I think you are going to absolutely love them and be shocked at how much they taste like real tacos!
Love tacos? Here are a few other taco & taco filling recipes you might enjoy:
- Breakfast Tacos
- Spicy Shrimp Tacos
- Seared Tuna Tacos
- Barbacoa Beef
- Roasted Cauliflower & Butternut Squash Tacos
- Shredded Pork Tacos
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Shredded Chicken Tacos
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 1 14oz can chopped tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp chipotle chili powder or 2 tbsp chopped Chipotle peppers in Adobo Sauce
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/4 cup dates
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2/3 cup chicken stock
Pico De Gallo
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- juice from 1/2 a lime
- 1/3 cup cashews, soaked in hot water for 10 mins
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder or 1 tbsp chopped Chipotle peppers in Adobo Sauce
- 1 large celery root
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
For the Shredded Chicken
- Place all of the ingredients for the chicken in the slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on low heat until the chicken is tender. Alternatively everything in the Instant Pot, close the valve and cook on Manual, High Pressure for 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred it using two forks.
- Pour the remaining sauce from the pot into a blender and puree until completely smooth. Pour the sauce over the shredded chicken and stir until it is all evenly coated.
For the Salsa
- Combine all of the ingredients for the salsa in a bowl and stir.
For the Chipotle Sauce
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth. Taste and adjust to your liking by adding more water to make thinner in consistency, acidic with more lime juice or spicier with more chili.
For the Tortillas
- Cut the two ends off of the celery root and then cut off the outer peel. Using a sharp knife cut the celery root into slices that are as thin as possible. If the tortillas are still quite thick I recommend running a knife over the top of each slice to shave them down.
- Using a grill on medium heat, cook the tortillas for approximately 4 minutes per side until grill marks form and the tortillas are tender and pliable.
To Assemble the Tacos
- Fill the tacos with the shredded chicken, shredded lettuce, salsa, avocado and chipotle sauce, top with sliced jalapeños and enjoy!