Apple & Celery Root Soup
This Vegan Apple & Celery Root Soup is rich and creamy and has a wonderful earthy flavour with hints of sweetness thanks to the addition of apple. This vegetarian soup is a one pot meal that freezes well and is perfect for those days when you are craving something comforting and warm. This soup is Vegan, Whole30, Paleo, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal.
I am a big fan of creamy soup, but struggle to order them in restaurants due to the amount of milk, cream and butter often used to achieve that consistency.
Celery root (or celeriac) and apple is a combination that I have recently seen on a lot of menus and found very intriguing. On the back of my recent obsession of celery root, I decided to attempt a dairy free version of the soup and am so pleased with the results.
This Apple and Celery Root Soup is incredibly smooth and creamy and has the perfect balance of flavours with a slight sweetness from the apples and rich earthy flavour from the celeriac.
This Vegan Apple & Celery Root soup is incredibly simple to make. Diced apples and celery root are simmered in vegetable stock until soft and then pureed in the blender until smooth. It’s amazing how only a handful of ingredients can create such a richly flavour and delicious soup. I like topping each bowl with a mix of finely chopped walnuts and thyme, or for a non vegetarian option, crisp pancetta would be delicious and add a nice crunch.
Here are a few other vegetarian soups that you will enjoy…
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Thai Butternut Squash Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower & Garlic Soup
- Chunky Onion Soup
- Creamy (or not) Tomato Soup
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Apple & Celery Root Soup
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 small apples or 2 large, peeled, cored and cut into small pieces
- 1 medium celeriac peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup almond milk or other milk alternative
- 2 tbsp walnuts roughly chopped
- 1/2 tbsp thyme
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add in the onion and cook for a few minutes until it begins to soften.
- Add in the cubed apple, celeriac, thyme, salt and 2 cups of the vegetable stock and let simmer for 20 minutes until the celeriac is soft.
- Transfer everything from the pot into a blender and blend or alternatively use a hand emulsifier to puree everything in the pot. Once smooth return the mixture to the pot and add in the remaining 1 cup vegetable stock and almond milk. Stir and bring to a boil. Taste and adjust seasoning with more salt, thyme or vegetable stock if too thick.
- In a bowl combine the chopped walnuts and thyme and mix
- Serve the soup topped with the walnuts and thyme.