Spiced Apple Walnut Loaf with Apple Butter
I love any type of muffin or loaf that has a bit of spice to it, providing an unexpected kick of flavour when you least expect it. This apple loaf is filled with some of my favourite winter flavours including apple, walnuts and a blend of ginger, cloves, cinnamon and all spice. This loaf is incredibly easy to make and delicious eaten on its own or topped with butter or jam…. or my new favourite condiment, Apple Butter.
Contrary to the name, Apple Butter does not contain butter but is called such due to its deliciously smooth and creamy consistency. Its similar to apple sauce, but cooked for a longer period of time giving it a much thicker and caramelized texture. With less then 20 minutes of hands on prep time, your house will be filled with the incredible smell of apple and cinnamon while the mixture cooks on the stove.
Unfortunately I do not have space in my tiny kitchen for a slow cooker, but this recipe would also turn out well if prepared in a slow cooker set to the longest setting (the longer the better). This apple butter is fantastic served on bread or toast, with oatmeal, or on granola. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Spiced Apple Walnut Loaf
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp apple juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups apples peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 walnuts chopped
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) and line a 5 x 9 inch loaf tin with tin foil.
- In a electric mixing bowl combine the almond flour, spices, salt and baking soda. Once well mixed add in the eggs, apple juice and honey.
- Finally add in the chopped apples and walnuts, mixing the batter by hand so as not to bruise the apples.
- Pour the batter into the baking tin and bake for approximately 45 minutes. If the top is growing too quickly, cover with tin foil. Remove from the oven when a toothpick inserted in the loaf comes out clean.
- Allow the loaf to completely cool before removing from the tin and cutting.
- 6 cups apples
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tbsp honey or other sweetener if vegan
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Peel, core and dice the apples.
- Place the apples in a large pot along with the other ingredients. Cover and cook on low heat for an hour.
- After 1 hour the apples should be very soft. Pour the mixture into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Return the mixture to the pot and cook for another 2 hours on low heat until it has thickened to your desired consistency.
- Store in an air tight jar or container in the fridge.