Cranberry & Orange Bars
I enter into serious baking mode during the run up to Christmas. My oven seems to be continuously preheating for the next batch of cookies/muffins/cakes which quickly turns my tiny kitchen into a sauna.
Although a lot of produce is out of season this time of year, two things which you can find in abundance at any grocery store or farmers market are cranberries and oranges. Together these two fruits are one of my favourite winter flavour combinations, with the sweet oranges perfectly contrasting with the tart berries.
In this recipe, cranberries are stewed with orange zest and juice and then blended into a smooth filling. The stewed fruit are layered onto a firm almond and coconut flour base and topped with a sweet cinnamon crumble. These bars are wonderful enjoyed with a cup of tea, or alongside ice cream for dessert.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Cranberry & Orange Bars
- 4 cups cranberries
- 1 1/2 tbsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3-1/2 cup honey depending on preferred tartness*
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp honey*
- 3 tbsp butter or coconut oil melted
- In a pot on medium-low heat combine the filling ingredients and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes. You may need to put a lid on the pot once the cranberries begin to pop. Once all of the cranberries have popped and the mixture has begun to stew, place everything into a food processor or blender and quickly pulse to break down any of the remaining large bits. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) and line a 8 x 8 baking dish with tin foil
- In a mixing bowl combine all of the ingredients for the base. Empty the dough into the baking dish and pat down firmly with your fingers so that the base is firmly packed and approximately 1cm in thickness throughout. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until it begins to turn golden in colour.
- While the base is baking make the final layer by combining all of the topping ingredients and stirring until well mixed.
- Spoon the filling onto the base and distribute it to the edges/corners in an even layer. Sprinkle the almond flour and coconut topping overtop.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the topping turns a golden/light brown colour. Remove from the oven and allow to completely cool before lifting out of the baking dish using the tin foil. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.