Strawberry & Lemon Cauliflower Cream Parfait
Cauliflower really is the super star of all vegetables. Not only is it rich in Vitamin C and potassium, it also contains cancer-blocking enzymes and helps your body to detoxify.
If you follow the recipes I share, then you will know that I am a massive fan of using cauliflower every chance I get. I love using it as rice in dishes like risotto, or paella, raw as a couscous in salads or baked into breads to make them super moist. This is my first time ever using cauliflower in a sweet dish and I was very hesitant. It’s a miracle vegetable, but can it really be used in a dessert?
I know what you are thinking, lemon
cauliflower cream? Trust me. This cream is incredible. It is smooth and creamy and heavenly. It is like a cross between whipped cream and a thick yogurt but completely dairy free and vegan and much lower in calories and fat then coconut cream. The cream has a delicious balance of sweet and zesty flavour from the addition of lemon juice that makes the cream light and fresh tasting. I call this recipe Lemon Cauliflower Cream because although its made of cauliflower there is no reason for anyone (especially kids) to ever know that it contains vegetables, making it easy to sneak in an undetected serving of veggies.
I layered the lemon
cauliflower cream with pureed strawberries and an almond and coconut crumble that adds a nice crunch to every bite. This recipe makes two 500ml glasses which is a big serving, or 4 smaller 250ml glasses which I would recommend making as its quite rich. Unfortunately the not so pleasant smell of cauliflower becomes detectable about 24 hours after making the cream and is hard to disguise, so I would recommend making the lemon cream no later then 12 hours before serving.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Strawberries & Cream Parfait
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1/3 cup toasted pecans
- 1 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp coconut oil melted
- 1/2 tsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp shredded mint
- 2 strawberries diced
- Steam the cauliflower florets using your preferred method (microwave/steamer basket or shallow pan) be sure to cook the cauliflower until it is very tender. Once cooked place the cauliflower in the fridge to cool.
- In a blender or food processor blend the cooled cauliflower florets, honey, vanilla, lemon juice and zest, coconut oil and almond milk. Continue to blend until it forms a smooth whipped cream like texture. Put in the fridge.
- To make the strawberry puree you can either roughly chop the strawberries on a cutting board or place them in a blender and pulse until they are broken down into a chunky texture. Set aside
- Finely chop the pecans. In a bowl combine the chopped pecans, coconut, salt, melted coconut oil and honey and stir.
- Use 2 500ml glasses or 4 250ml glasses. Start by filling the bottom 1/4 of the glass with the strawberry puree. Next top with the cauliflower cream a smaller layer of the crumble and then another layer of strawberry. Top with a large spoonful of the cauliflower cream and then garnish with the diced strawberries and shredded mint.
I made this for our desert tonight. It was a HIT !! wonderful Thanks
Im so happy to hear you enjoyed the dessert! Hopefully you were able to hide the fact that its made of cauliflower. 🙂
They know what it was made with……and could not believe how great it tasted.
Pingback: Gluten Free Peanut Butter Zucchini Muffins – Honest Cooking