Happy New Year! This is always one of my favourite times of year, filled with so much hope and promise. The start of the year feels like a blank slate, when you can wipe away all of the bad habits and indiscretions from the previous year and start fresh. Each year I spend the first few days of January setting goals and resolutions that I hope to achieve throughout the year (eat healthier, work out more, floss, try not to store the entirety of my wardrobe at the foot of my bed etc) and each year by January 15th they are all forgotten and I’m back to my old ways. This year I am limiting my resolution to 2 simple words; be healthy. Hopefully I will be able to stick to this one for longer then a week.
To support all of the dedicated “resolutionists” I am starting the year with a healthy salad recipe to encourage everyone to stay on track for a few more days. This raw salad is fresh and delicious and full of great color and flavor, a perfect dish to enjoy if you are trying to detox. Truth be told this is the first time I have ever used celery root and although it’s not the most visually appealing of vegetables, I absolutely love it. Like the more commonly eaten celery stock, celery root is rich in vitamins A, B6, C, K and E, potassium and dietary fibre. In this salad the celery root and apples are julienned, tossed with pistachio, pomegranate seeds and parsley and served with a lemon and honey dressing. There are so many different tastes and textures in each bite from the crispness of the sweet apple and celery root to the tart pomegranate seeds and crunchy pistachios. This is a great alternative to the usual lettuce base salads that I am sure many are overdosing on this time of year. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 celery root
- 1 apple
- ⅔ cup pistachios, toasted
- ⅔ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup parsley
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp honey (or other sweetener)
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Wash and peel the celery root. Peel the apple and remove the core. Cut the celery root and apple into thin matchsticks using a mandoline. If you do not have a mandoline you can use a serrated knife or a food processor fitted with a coarse grating blade.
- Place the shredded celery root, apple, pomegranate seeds and toasted pistachios in a bowl.
- In a bowl whisk together the olive oil, honey and white wine vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Before serving, top the salad with the dressing, toss and sprinkle with chopped parsley