Slices of warm focaccia laden with caramelized onions, a sprinkle of thyme and crystalized salt dipped in a dish of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar….I mean seriously, how good does that sound?
When it comes to whipping up a loaf of bread, it doesn’t get much easier than this. The dough requires no kneading or resting time to rise, and if the caramelized onions are already prepared (maybe leftover from the previous nights hamburgers or extras from your batch of jam) then you could have a delicious loaf of focaccia ready in under 35 minutes (from start to finish!).
Full disclosure, if you regularly eat bread made with yeast and wheat flour you will be surprised by the texture of this focaccia. Like other almond flour products, its moist and quite dense compared with regular bread but the flavour is very similar. This focaccia is great served warm with olive oil and vinegar, alongside a hot bowl of soup, toasted and topped with dip or spreads and served as bruschetta or cut in half and used as sandwich bread. It’s so versatile!
The caramelized onions are so delicious baked into the top of the focaccia, but if you aren’t a fan of caramelized onions, feel free to substitute them for sundried tomatoes, olives, butternut squash, prosciutto or roasted peppers. Be creative!
- 2 large onions
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 cups Almond Flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- ½ tsp Fleur de Sel or other flaked salt
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius
- Heat the olive oil in a pan on medium-low heat. Cut the onions into thin slices and place in the heated pan and sprinkle with ¼ tsp salt. Cover the pan and cook, stirring occassionaly until the onions have wilted. If they begin to burn/brown too quickly, lower the heat. Cook for approximately 20-25 minutes until they have turned golden in colour and caramelized.
- In an electric mixing bowl combine the almond flour, eggs, butter, baking soda, apple cider vinegar and nutritional yeast, Mix until well combined.
- Place on a baking sheet and form into a loaf approximately 1½ - 2 inches thick. Top with the caramelized onions, chopped thyme and salt.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the bread is golden brown in colour. Allow to cool before slicing.