Butternut Squash Dip
One of the things I love about being on a restrictive diet (other then feeling sooo much better) is that it has forced me to go outside my cooking comfort zone. The Specific Carbohydrate Diet has forced me to become more creative with food and find ways of using new ingredients in old familiar ways. One of the vegetables that has most benefited from this is butternut squash, a vegetable which I used to eat just once a year for Christmas dinner.
No longer being able to eat potatoes resulted in Butternut Squash Chips and my new favourite veggie also came to the rescue to replace banned chickpeas, the main ingredient in hummus, with this Butternut Squash Dip. This dip is rich and creamy and has a caramelized flavour from the roasted garlic. It is incredibly easy to make and requires less then 10 minutes of prep time (plus 20 minutes of baking). There are no fillers in this dip, just a splash of oil and veggies making it a great option for healthy snacking. Spread on crackers, as a dip with veggies or even eaten with prawns or chicken, it’s so addicting you will be making excuses to eat it with just about everything.
Here are a few other dip recipes that you will enjoy…
- Roasted Zucchini Hummus
- Dairy Free Tzatziki
- Beet & Walnut Dip
- Roasted Carrot Dip
- Baba Ganoush
- 4-Ingredient Pea Dip
- Curried Cauliflower Dip
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Butternut Squash Dip
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Peel and de-seed the butternut squash and cut into 2 inch cubes. Place in a baking dish with the peeled garlic cloves, a sprinkle of salt and 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until the butternut squash is well cooked and the garlic cloves become caramelized
- In a blender combine the cooked butternut squash, garlic, tahini, 1 tbsp olive oil, lemon juice and smoke paprika. Blend. Add the water in small amounts until the dip reaches your desired consistency. Season with salt
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool in the fridge. The flavour begins to really develop after a few hours. Serve with crackers, veggies or bread. Happy Dipping!