What happens when you combine the flavours of these Cranberry, Orange & Pecan muffins with this hearty grain free Apple Cinnamon Granola? You get one very delicious breakfast cereal that’s bursting with the citrusy flavours of orange, tart cranberries and rich nuts.
Unlike the majority of store bought granola which is very high in refined sugar, this recipe keeps things all natural with just a few tablespoons of honey (or maple syrup), orange juice and oven dried cranberries. Try to avoid store bought dried cranberries such as Oceanspray which are incredibly high in sugar, juice infused cranberries or dried cherries which do not contain added sugar are a much better option. Alternatively if you are feeling especially Martha Stewart-esque, you can make your own dried cranberries by cooking them on the stove for approximately 20 minutes until they begin to pop and then transferring them to a dehydrator or baking them in the oven for 6-7 hours at 90 degrees Celsius. Your waist line will thank you for the extra effort.
I have to warn you, this granola is incredibly addicting. After having a bowl with almond milk for breakfast, I find myself snacking on handfuls of it like trail mix by early afternoon. Its super filling so I recommend sticking to a smaller serving size to keep the calorie count in check.
- ¾ cup walnuts
- ½ cup hazelnuts
- 2 cups pecans
- 1 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- ⅔ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 3 tbsp honey (or other natural sweetener such as maple syrup)
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees celsius
- Place the walnuts and hazelnuts in a food processor and pulse for a few seconds until they break down into small pieces
- Add in the pecans and pulse once or twice, you want them to remain in larger pieces
- Place the mixture in a large bowl and stir in the dried cranberries, shredded coconut and coconut flakes
- In a small bowl whisk together the coconut oil, vanilla extract, orange zest and juice and honey (or maple syrup)
- Pour the liquid over the granola and stir until everything is well coated. Pour everything onto a baking sheet and place in the oven
- Bake the granola in the oven for 30-35 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes when it starts to brown. Make sure you watch it closely to ensure nothing burns. Once everything is golden in colour, remove from the oven and allow to cool before storing in a zip-loc bag or sealed container.