Energy balls are a staple in my home. I always have a few bags in the freezer and snack on them for breakfast, dessert or before a work out, they are a great healthy snack to have on hand when hunger hits.
This energy ball was inspired by one of my favourite muffins, Lemon and blueberry. I love anything lemon flavoured, and these energy balls have a lot of delicious citrusy taste from both the lemon zest and juice. You could easily omit the blueberries from this recipe, but I think that the sweet dried berries at a nice burst of flavour as well as a crunchy texture.
I added in a touch of turmeric to the balls to enhance the yellow colour and because turmeric is pretty much a miracle spice when it comes to healthy benefits. I try to include turmeric in my daily diet for its anti inflammatory properties, and I highly recommend that anyone with an autoimmune disease should do the same. Turmeric is also an antioxidant that is currently thought to slow the development and growth of cancer cells.
These energy balls will last for about 3 weeks in the fridge, or months and months in the freezer. Happy rolling!
- 1 cup cashews
- ¾ cup dates
- ½ tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1½ tbsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup dried blueberries
- Place the cashews and dates into a food processor and blend until broken into smaller pieces.
- Add in all of the other ingredients except the dried blueberries and pulse until well combined.
- By hand then stir the dried blueberries into the mixture.
- Roll the mixture into 24-26 balls. If it becomes sticky, wet your hands as you roll. Place them in a container and store in the fridge or freezer.