Strawberry & Rhubarb Bars
My love for fruit bars began in high school when I discovered Starbucks’ blueberry bars. As they had a fruit filling and crumbly oat topping, I convinced myself it was a healthy breakfast and proceeded to buy one every morning on my way to school for my entire senior year. During the summers I would bake different variations with cranberries, raspberries and apricots, but my favorite was always strawberry and rhubarb, the perfect combination of tart and sweet.
After making Stewed Rhubarb and Rhubarb & Orange Muffins I had a few pieces of rhubarb left over and decided it was finally time to tackle the grain free fruit bar. In place of the crumbly oat topping I made a coconut and chopped nut mixture which although a little messy, works incredibly well. I couldn’t be happier with how these bars turned out. Even if you aren’t grain free, I highly recommend trying them, I actually prefer them to the Starbucks version as they are a lot lighter (which means you will want to eat more then one) and have more flavour. Plus being grain and refined sugar free there is no guilt!
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Strawberry & Rhubarb Bars
For the Base:
For the Filling:
- 3 cups rhubarb chopped
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries chopped
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp water
For the Topping:
- 2 tbsp honey or other sweetener
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil or butter
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted nuts
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees celsius (300 degrees Fahrenheit)
- In a pan over medium-low heat let the chopped rhubarb, strawberries, honey and water simmer for approx 20 minutes until the fruit has begun to break down. Once the fruit has become a stewed consistency, remove from the heat and set aside, it will thicken as it cools
- In a mixing bowl combine the ingredients for the base
- Line a 9 x 9 inch baking tin with tin foil
- Empty the dough into the tin and pat down to form a 1.5-2 cm thick base. Place in the oven and let bake for approx 10 minutes until it begins to turn a golden brown
- While the base is cooking, in a bowl mix together the ingredients for the topping
- Remove from the oven and top with the Strawberry and Rhubarb filling and then top with a thin layer of the topping. Place back in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until the nuts begin to golden in colour
- Let completely cool before lifting the bars out of the baking pan using the tin foil. Cut into square and enjoy! Best stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.