Crispy Spiced Carrot Chips
I had the best intentions of posting a salad recipe today. As its July and salads are a go to meal this time of year, I figured it was the perfect opportunity to share a healthy zucchini salad recipe. That was until I made these carrot chips, and lets be honest, chips trump salad every time. On the Specific Carbohydrate Diet potatoes, sweet potatoes (yams) and turnips are not allowed so options for homemade chips that will crisp in the oven are quite limited. I was really happy with how my Crisp Butternut Squash Chips turned out but found them to be a bit labor intensive between boiling and then baking each slice (although the end result is more then worth the effort). I wanted a vegetable that would have lots of flavor when cooked and easily crisp in the oven without having to precook in any way and I’m happy to say that carrots ticked every box. These Carrot Chips are incredibly easy to make, simply slice, toss in oil and spices and bake for 8-10 minutes. I have to stress that the slices need to be paper thin to ensure maximum crispness and make sure you keep a close eye on them while they bake as they can burn very quickly. The chips are best eaten fresh out of the oven as they lose crispness as they cool, but trust me this will not be a problem, as they are so addicting they won’t be around for long.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Crispy Spiced Carrot ChipsLeave a Review »
- 3 cups carrots sliced paper thin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika or more depending on desired spiciness
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 215 degrees Celsius (420 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Slice the carrot into paper thin coins or you can also use a peeler and cut long thin slices depending on what you prefer
- Place the carrot slices in a bowl and toss with the oil and spices. Try to ensure that the spice is evenly distributed over all slices
- Lay the carrots out in a single layer on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and sprinkle with salt
- Place in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, watch closely to ensure they do not burn
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately. Enjoy!