Salt & Pepper Crackers
Which foods do you regularly buy from the groccery store because making a homemade version is just too much work? For me, it is always bread and crackers. Don’t get me wrong, homemade bread is delicious, but between kneading the bajeezus out of the dough and praying that the dough rises, it has always been a bit too much effort for my liking. To be perfectly honest, I never tried making crackers at home, but assumed the process was similar to bread so they were added to my “Store bought only” list without a second thought.
Fast forward to a few months after starting the Specific Carbohydrate Diet when I was craving crackers and desperate enough to try and make them at home. Lo and behold they are so easy to make! I currently have 4 or 5 different versions on rotation and each recipe takes less then 20 minutes to make start to finish. They are crisp, can be shaped to whatever size you prefer, require less then 3 minutes of preparation and are basically foolproof.
These Salt & Pepper Crackers are my absolute favorite. They are flavourful enough to be eaten on their own while not overpowering any dips or toppings you might eat with them. Plus they require just 5 ingredients, 4 of which I guarantee you have in your kitchen right now. I love eating these on their own, topped with pesto or cheese, or dipped in hummus. They are also delicious topped with Bacon & Caramelized Onion Jam!
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Salt & Pepper Crackers
- 2 cups Almond Flour
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- In a mixer combine the ingredients and blend until a dough forms
- Place dough between two pieces of parchment paper and using a rolling pin roll out the dough evenly until its less then 1/8th of an inch thick
- Remove top layer of parchment paper and place the bottom sheet of parchment paper with the rolled out dough onto a baking sheet
- Using a knife cut a grid in the dough to form squares, this will make it easier to break the crackers into uniform size once baked.
- Bake in the oven for 10-14 minutes or until the dough begins to turn golden in colour
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days