Butternut Squash, Feta & Pumpkin Seed Salad
SA is one of those people who could eat the same chicken salad for dinner every night for a year and never get bored (I think his current record is 10 nights in a row, seriously weird right?) I on the other hand start to lose my mind by day 2 and by day 4 am contemplating a hunger strike over eating the same salad again. Now that summer is over I was hoping to work a new warm salad into our weekly dinner routine, the requirements: less than 10 minutes of preparation and filling enough to not require chicken (I wasn’t kidding about that hunger strike).
Butternut squash has become my new go to vegetable for just about everything. It’s easy to cook, has a delicious rich flavour and is so much healthier (half the calories!) then potatoes or sweet potatoes. It is fantastic in a creamy soup, cut thinly into crispy chips, mashed or made into breakfast hashbrowns with lots of spices. My new favourite way to eat butternut squash is roasted in the oven with herbs, it’s a fantastic side dish or main ingredient in a salad. For this recipe the butternut squash is cubed and roasted in the oven with thyme and then served warm on a bed of rocket with feta, pumpkin seeds and a honey and herb dressing, the colours and flavours are the epitome of autumn. Both pumpkin seeds and feta pack this salad with protein while the warm butternut squash will satisfy even the most ravenous of carnivores. If you wanted to step the fall flavours up another notch I think the flavours of this salad would also work well with roasted pumpkin, I may try that out once we hit day 4.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Butternut Squash, Feta & Pumpkin Seed SaladLeave a Review »
- 2 cups butternut squash cut into cubes approx half a squash
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds toasted
- 4 cups rocket
- 1/3 cup feta cut into cubes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Peel the butternut squash and cut into 1/2 inch sized cubes, place on a baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with 1 tbsp thyme and salt & pepper and place in the oven to bake for 35-40 minutes. Keep an eye on the squash and flip them once they begin to brown
- While the butternut squash is cooking cut the feta into cubes and place in a bowl along with the rocket and toasted pumpkin seeds
- Place the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk until well
- Remove the butternut squash from the oven once it is soft and has begun to brown. Top the salad with the butternut squash and toss with the dressing just before serving. Enjoy!